Rust Doctor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:21 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Doctor?

Has anyone tried Rust Doctor?

According to their website (www.therustdoctor.com) it basically converts rust into black magnetite and it's non-toxic and safe enough to bathe your kids in (or some such nonsense...).

I've been meaning to treat the surface rust on my floorpan with some POR-15, but I'm trying to find an alternative that's less likely to burn a hole in my face if I get some on me...

I guess this post would probably be more appropriate in the General Forum, but I like you guys better!

Jeff
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
red89
Racer

wear a mask. Use the nasty stuff and get rid of the rust. Other remedies are not worth the time.

my $.02
Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Yeah...you're probably right!

Originally Posted by red89
wear a mask. Use the nasty stuff and get rid of the rust. Other remedies are not worth the time.

my $.02
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by GeneralTso
....safe enough to bathe your kids in...
Jeff
My neighbors bathe their three young kids in it weekly and they are totally rust free! (it killed their dog though).
Old 09-29-2007, 03:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"get rid of the rust"

- I don't know exactly what this poster means. If he means to remove the rust mechanically as with a wire brush, etc., then he is dead wrong about other methods not being worthwhile.

Rust reducers or converters work quite well. They function by forcing the chemical reaction that produces rust (an oxidation) to run backwards (a reduction rxn). This will be familiar to all who have taken freshman chemistry. These chemicals work very well, and can serve as primers for paint.

POR-15 is a coating that has been used with excellent results by hundreds of posters on the Pelican bbs.

Be sure to get ALL the rust no matter what method you use.

And follow the directions carefully - in either case, scale and 'chips' of rust need to be removed mechanically.

But you do NOT have to remove all rust mechanically - indeed, it you think you have, there are probably still microscopic pin spots of rust left in the metal.

Quick Reply: Rust Doctor?