Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Black /dye for leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 01:54 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Black /dye for leather Steering Wheel

Does anyone know of a Black Dye they would recommend for dyeing a leather steering wheel on an 88 Carrera? Any suggestions welcomed.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 05-26-2002, 11:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
The two most popular products are Surflex and Leatherique. But I'd be cautious trying a product like this on a steering wheel. Their trick is that they mix paint with a flexible Carnuba wax, so that the 'skin' created by the paint remains flexible after it sets. But the steering wheel gets so much abrasive use, I'd be surprised if the dye lasts very long.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:16 AM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Jack. I have used the leatherique products and they are great but may not be recommended on a steering wheel. You could use a black leather steering wrap and perhaps dye the balance of the wheel, but it would depend on what the base materials are.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:17 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully , there is a remedy available.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 05-27-2002, 10:42 AM
jlkline
Racer

I have used a 2 stage Tandy leather dye process with excellent results.

The first is the actual dye followed by their "Super Sheene" clear finish.

Lightly sand the wheel first. then apply the Tandy's Pro Dye in Black. As I recall, it leaves kind of a weird rainbow effect when dry, but once the clear "Super Sheen" is applied, it looks beautiful.

From there, any good leather conditioner every few months to maintain the finish.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:01 PM
trj911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have used plain old black shoe polish along with black boot dressing. When I first got my cab, the steering wheel and dash were gray and terribly faded. I first put boot dressing on and let it dry overnight. Then I wiped off any excess. Then I used black shoe polish and polished the wheel and dash just like a pair of shoes. At first I was afraid I the polish would come off on my hands so I tested it in a small spot and it did not rub off, so I polished the wheel and dash. Even after sitting in the sun all day the black does not come off. I did it 2 summers ago and the steering wheel and dash still look good.

Quick Reply: Black /dye for leather Steering Wheel