Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

flex rope lighting to replace the 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex rope lighting to replace the 3rd brake light

Figured I'd check over here on the 911 board if anyone has replaced the window blocking, black box, brake light on mid 80's vintage with something made from those flex ropes with the LEDs in them. Looks like it wouldn't be a difficult install by using the red LED type at 3/8" diameter format... or even the 1/2" square format. The round hole vent indentation area at the rear roof line could support an 12-18" strip with double-sided auto molding mount tape between the holes and still have a few left over for cabin venting.

If done, some pics would be cool.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often thought of replacing my "black box" third brake light with something better looking. Unfortunately, as I understand it, the box is mounted with epoxy or some other high-strength glue, and removing it risks damage to the rear defroster wires. If you can solve that problem, then it should be very easy to put a better third light back there.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I hate that thing!
I have to move my head to see if anything with flashing lights is approaching.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A light rope might look good in a slammed '88 Toyota pickup, but a 911???

Steve
84 Carrera
64 356C
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by UberXY
A light rope might look good in a slammed '88 Toyota pickup, but a 911???

Steve
84 Carrera
64 356C
it would go great with the neon lights you put down each side ..:-)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Gino
Racer

Default the alternative...

saw this which I understand comes on the 964 style w-w/o the 3rd brake light built in. don't think it needs the spoiler look when the 12-18" rope would do just fine...

Last edited by Gino; 09-23-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have visions of a christmas tree, but didn't want to be the first guy to say it. can the existing light be removed without dammage? if it can, what about the light in the cabs? I can't see it when I'm driving. I think it is kinda cool myself. heck, if it is a vision issue, don't get a cab and drive with the top up, 'cause you can't see anything.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEDs are brightest when viewed from straight on. Aren't they positioned any which way in a light rope?

If so they would appear to be of different brightness when viewed from behind.

Why don't you just make your own up from LEDs less the rope?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Gino
Racer

just what I was thinking Psycho... the guru across the street and I have been discussing... something about in-series and resistors and only 8 can be used based upon the battery voltage and some kind of power chip, etc. all greek to me, but the point was to fabricate something with LEDs about 8-12" long and tuck it into that space under the roof line with the vent holes...

more after we make something to test...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Has anyone ever mounted a lava lamp on the rear spoiler of a 996 cabriolet? I was told that it is a great indicator of spoiler deployment. I'm torn between this or the Litronic => candelabra upgrade although the latter would probably draw more positive attention at Mardi Gras this year.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Gino,
I like where you're comming from. I've been doing a bit of composite work recently involving kevlar and carbon lay ups. What about 8 to 12 red leds layed up in a carbon fibre strip the neatly clips into the vent holes that you mentioned? And only having the very tips of the leds proud of the carbon block?

The whole thing need not be more than 10mm thick. What do you think?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Gino
Racer

Psycho-
yes that sound like the deal, especially charcoal colored carbon layup to fit into the normally dark area above the window seal by the vent holes....

I'm assuming the vent holes are accessed thru the zipper in the headliner behind the sun roof motor mechanism. I further assume the wiring to the box comes from this area too.

I'll do some PET viewing and exploritories this weekend. In the meantime I ordered 2 feet of LED rope in red, along with end caps and 1 "T" fitting, along with a mount strip... can't get into too much trouble for 25 bucks.

I also check with my wrench who said that the box is removable, but the black epoxy mounting needs to be 'removed by razor' srapping, very carefully as to not screw up the defrost wires...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Gino,
Yes the vent is accessible through the zip in the headlining, however from memory those holes are backed up by a sheet steel panel that supports that coarse foam that is visible from the outside.
I think that panel has an open bottom edge and is about 1/2 inch from the vent holes.

I don’t know about the wiring because I haven’t got a “box”
My car’s a bit old for that.

If the box is at the top of the window the wires may be in the roof lining. But seeing they come from the brake light circuit I wouldn’t be surprised if they come from the engine compartment and run up inside the rear window rubber.
From the inside, pull the rubber away from the ‘c’ panel and see if there’s and wires there that go to the top.
Remember that the defrost wires are in there as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Gino
Racer

Default looks much better than a Lava Lamp!!

well, I've removed the black box from the rear window (and can see more although the black expoxy needs to be razor scrapped)... reconfigured the wiring for the 3rd brake light into the zip space in the headliner to pass through the rear upper vents... to illuminate the 21 red LEDs in the space where the rear window meets the roof line... picture attached. total cost was under $25 USD.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to see how you get the epoxy off. I've heard it's near-impossible to remove without damaging the defroster wires.

Quick Reply: flex rope lighting to replace the 3rd brake light