Targa top

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa top

Hello,

Having just purchased a Carrera Targa and not even taken delivery of it yet, I know I'm going to have to give the top some attention. I did a search and found many useful references to places that perform this service, and seen a few write-ups on DIY kits. But I saw no reference to THIS PLACE

It says I can get a rebuild kit with headliner for $175, w/o headliner for $118. Have any of you used their products before?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Russell

PS: Obligatory pic of new car below...
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reskinning a Targa top is supposedly a VERY difficult job if you want it to look like OEM when you're done. The guru on all things Targa top-related is Dan Pechtel at www.carsinc-nj.com.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottb
Reskinning a Targa top is supposedly a VERY difficult job if you want it to look like OEM when you're done. The guru on all things Targa top-related is Dan Pechtel at www.carsinc-nj.com.
Thanks, I've seen Pechtel mentioned many times in my search. And have read other's testimony about doing it themselves. Thus far my thinking is it is probably well worth the 600 bucks to have them do it right.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may even be more than $600, but if you want it done right, Dan's your guy (and he's relatively close to you in NJ so shipping won't be exorbitant).
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 AM
D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed rebuilding mine. Got all the parts from Pelican, new top, headliner, webbing, foam. A royal pain to rebuild yourself, but it can be done. The biggest thing you need is patience. If I ever need to do it again, I will send it out and let Dan Pechtel fix it for me.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rberry, I've got a 1984 Targa and I re-did the top my self. I'm no interior/exterior guy but I am handy with tools. I didn't find this job very difficult, actually I found it kind of fun. I replaced the outer skin, foam and burlap. After I completed the job the top looked great. When I put the top on the car I could see where adjustments were needed. No big deal, took the top back off, removed some of the mounting clips, adjusted the skin and did a little trimming. I'm just about finished. Just one more adjustment and it'll look perfect. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest I would rate my Targa top project as a 3. By the way, I bought the burlap and foam at a local fabric store and saved a few buck doing that.

Quick Reply: Targa top