Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Targa Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 03:24 PM
AD7TCAR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 87 Targa Bar

Need some help w/ my targa bar. What is the actual factory finish? Mine appears to be a flat black, with a stippled ( is that a word?) or tiny paint spot textured finish. I have seen brushed that looks like chrome or s/s, and even shiny black that looks almost like powder-coat. I am wondering if my 87 Targa Carrera is factory?

Also, is there a way to effectively clean it? One of the kids laid an armor-all soaked rag over it and I can't get the marks it left off.
Thanks for the help.
Tim
Old 05-24-2002, 08:26 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use Armor All maybe twice a year to add gloss to my Targa bar. Works great, with water beading up nicely on the bar.

I'm familiar with the marks (or streaks) you're speaking of. They should come out with soap & water. At least they do on my (factory finish) car. Regardless, you won't get the streaks if you apply the Armor All evenly. Another way to get rid of the streaks is to apply more Armor All over the streaks, but evenly. Somewhat analogous to keeping streaks off of a mirror when cleaning.

As I think about it more, I'm imagining that your "marks" may actually be glossy spots on an otherwise dull bar. If this is the case, Armor All-ing the whole bar may be the only way to blend the marks.

Best of luck!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Russ 87 911
Track Day

I wax the bar seems to hold in bad weather.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:47 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like the paint on your bar has oxydized. You'll probably need to repaint it to get it looking right.

The original finish is a polyurethane, satin black, with a "structural" additive. Porsche no longer sells a product for this, but Glausurit does. You may find that you have to mix in a little bit of gloss black to get a good deep black - the satin alone seemed to be a little blue the first time we repainted the bar on my '83. The shop that painted mine had to paint it twice to satisfy me! The painter primed mine, first, then did one pass at normal pressure, and a final pass at around 30 psi with a standard, old fashioned gun. At least, that's what he says.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:58 AM
AD7TCAR
Intermediate

Thanks for all the good input!
Regards,
Tim
Old 05-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Mike Scott
Intermediate

The Targa bar on my '87 was fading and streaking. I tried all kinds of things to restore it including "Back to Black", Vinylex and several "paint cleansers". They all just made it worse. I decided I would have to paint it and was determined to do it myself.

I started by removing the Targa Bar cover (better plan on replacing the $eal - you'll probably destroy it) and sanding it lightly with 400 w/d. Next, I primed it and based on advice I got from John Paterek (well regarded Porsche restorer and PCA Tech Committee member for Body/Paint Upholstery/Interiors) I used Duplicolor Satin Black spray paint (available at NAPA stores) to paint it. I did 4 coats.

Results? Well, I placed second in the PCA Zone 1 Concours last weekend, so I'd say it came out pretty well! Let me know if you want any more details.

Quick Reply: 87 Targa Bar