Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How many Ruby Red cabriolets made in 1983?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How many Ruby Red cabriolets made in 1983?

I posted a question on another board recently about finding a resource that shows how many cars in each color and body style were produced in a given production year. Still have not found any info yet. I emailed CoA@porschecars.com last night and here is what I got back:

Well, I got an email back this morning from CoA@ porschecars.com.

I simply asked the same question as above... is there any resourcce available that would tell me how many cars in a certain color and body style were produce for each year? Here is the reponse:

Shane,

I am sorry, unfortuantely there is no central or archive document/database that would allow me to let you know how many 'Ruby Red' Cabriolets were made in 1983.

And if there was such a thing unfortuantely I would not be able to release that information.

If I can be of further assistance - let me know!

I do not get what the big hairy deal would be to share the info if they DID have it. What am I missing?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an '89 Baltic Blue coupe and the PO gave me a letter he received from Porsche NA stating how many 911s were made in 1989, how many of those 911s were coupes, and how many of those coupes were Baltic Blue (47).

I suggest you write a nice letter requesting the info instead of an email.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C of A folks at PCNA are is the business of selling documents of questionable value, NOT in the business of helping Porschephiles like us!

After purchasing a C of A by calling and speaking directly to a young lady (who knew absolutely NOTHING about what she was doing), I waited ten weeks, and then called again. I got a different young lady, who looked into her records, found my order had been 'Overlooked", and promised to get it "Right Out"...

Actually, the order had been screwed up so badly by the order taker, that the second young lady had decided to just not process it, EVER!!! So, if I had not called back, I would never have received my order... yeah, the Customer always comes last!

So, after waiting another two weeks, I finally received my C of A, which I question, as to some of the dates listed, because it doesn't jibe with the original purchase paperwork, but who knows, and certainly THEY don't care!

What you were really being told is "DON"T BOTHER US, we are too busy suckering regular customers for $110.00 to worry about paint colors", which they could certainly compile by year and type, IF they so chose to do, but that ain't never going to happen!

The " I can tell you, but I would have to kill you " BS just drives me crazy!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Yeah,

A nice lady actually called me back a few minutes ago and apologetically said that Porsche never kept that kind of detailed data.

JABSEA, any idea where your PO got his info from. I do not mind sending a letter, just want to make sure it goes somewhere that counts...

Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

I pulled out the letter dated April, 1990.

It was from Porsche Cars North America. Back then it was in Reno, but I believe now it is in the southeast (Atlanta?). A simple Google search would get you the right address. The letter was signed by Lawrence A. Shepherd, Senior Customer Service Representative. Maybe Larry still works there?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Instructor

"... apologetically said that Porsche never kept that kind of detailed data."

Well, let's see... Porsche knows, by Serial Number, exactly how many 1983 SC's they built, and in each configuration (Cab, Targa, Coupe). And they know the paint color of each of those cars, because that is ONE thing that they got correct on my C of A....

Sooo... A + B = the exact number of 1983 Porsches, by configuration AND Color...

IF they felt like compiling the data... jeez, real tough work for someone with a spreadsheet program!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Thanks JABSEA. I just tried to find Larry but no longer there apparently. I just sent an email to someone at porsche.de, so maybe they can at least tell me if there is somewhere I can find the info...

Must be out there somewhere...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1986951
"... apologetically said that Porsche never kept that kind of detailed data."

Well, let's see... Porsche knows, by Serial Number, exactly how many 1983 SC's they built, and in each configuration (Cab, Targa, Coupe). And they know the paint color of each of those cars, because that is ONE thing that they got correct on my C of A....

Sooo... A + B = the exact number of 1983 Porsches, by configuration AND Color...

IF they felt like compiling the data... jeez, real tough work for someone with a spreadsheet program!
I agree... I really did not think it would be a big deal at all, but apparently, I was wrong...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

Sorry to jack your thread but this is of interest to me as well. Along the same lines, is there any resource that lists the different colors that were even available by year notwithstanding the number of cars created in those colors?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

No problem Quattro... I would like to see that as well...
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That info is in one of the books I have at home. (DSL is sometimes on sometimes off.) That color info is available down to the carpet and cloth. I remember Barnes and Noble having lots of books.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Here are the colors for 1983 SC's...

You can load any years and see what was available...

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No intent of hijacking this thread, but I also have been stonewalled by PCNA for no apparent reason. I was working on an article, and was able to actually reach by phone a gentleman who is pretty high up in the PCNA system. My question, "How many GT-3s and GT-2s have you sold in road-going trim?" Needless to say, that question was never answered.

About this thread, I've never been aware of a database regarding this info, but if one could access factory paint code orders for a particular year, it would not seem too difficult to get within a couple of cars, however, that number would include all models painted a specific color. They probably know the exact amount of paint that goes on a car, so, except for the 5-gallon bucket that Hans knocked over during Octoberfest... I can tell you two things: I can't remember ever seeing a Ruby Red SC Cabrio, and all '83 SC Cabs got black tops.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Pete,

You want to hear something funny. I had never seen another Ruby SC cabrio either, adn then today while looking for other information, I come across a website from a google search. The website is a want ad website and a guy right here in Tennessee (out in east Tennessee in KNoxville) had the exact same car as mine, both interior and exterior. I couldn't believe it. It even had about the same mileage as mine. He had listed it for sale in July of this year. Weird...

On another note, someone from the PCA just told me today to try and contact Adrian Streathers and said they were almost positive his book about the SC had the infoi we have been discussing in this thread. I sent him an email. Does anyone have his book that they could at least tell me what it says. I will probably have to order it as there are not usually a lot of Porsche books on the local bookstore shelves here in west Tennessee.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Quattro Libre:

The Porsche 911 Red Book (Patrick Paternie) has a lot of information about numbers produced by model and colors available by year. It doesn't have colors by model though...

Quick Reply: How many Ruby Red cabriolets made in 1983?