Strange noise "Ping!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 04:22 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Strange noise "Ping!"

'86 Carrera. This noise is tough to describe, but I hope someone has an idea for me. This morning when I started the car, for just a few seconds I had a noise that sounded like a wire or stick clipping the edge of the fan blades. Not the chain dragged across the trash can sound of doom of a collapsed tensioner, but more like an stick or wire hanging in front of the fan and intermittently being sucked in and clipping the edge of the fan blades. Only lasted 3-4 seconds then gone. No noise after that. After I had been at work a couple of hours I went out and started the car. Same sound again. Before I could open the engine lid up, the sound was gone. Had a friend come out and start the car. It is definitely a metallic "ping" noise and only last a couple of seconds. Is not consistent with the turning of the fan. Just "ping". . . "ping, ping" . . ."ping" I can duplicate the noise with the car off by lightly tapping one of the fan blades with the tip of my key. I hate the obscure noises!
I can't find anything hanging loose around the fan. Is it possible to have a tensioner lose pressure and partially collapse and then repressurize on start up? The whole thing is making me nervous!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion is to look at the fan shroud very closely. When my alternator was going south the fan would touch the shroud on occassion. I think the bearing was loose and caued a little wobble in the fan, causing it to hit the shroud. New housings arent cheap, ask me how I know, so if this is the problem do wait to fix it.

Hope this helps
Old 08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also check that your fan belt is tight, it can bang into the shroud and cause a ping if it's to loose. This drove me crazy for several days until I found this problem on my car.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, you got it right. Took off the fan belt and could wiggle the fan and alternator shaft. New alternator for me.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Buffalo
Advanced

I had this happen when I added to many spacers on the pulley

Quick Reply: Strange noise "Ping!"