Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

need help ASAP on front shocks . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
glenn '84 targa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need help ASAP on front shocks . . .

finished the back shocks, now trying to get the front ones out and HAVE to get this done today.

i have an '84 911 targa and i'm putting bilsteins in.

how the f%^k do you get the old pin out at the bottom. hammering, no luck. drilling - its hardened steel, no way.

????
Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't hit the pin w/ penetrating oil, do so...then maybe use a large C-clamp around the strut with an appropriate socket on one side (for the pin to exit through), and a long breaker bar for leverage. Hope this helps...Keith
Old 07-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Glen:

I'm assuming that you have Bilstein struts and you are trying to replace the inserts. If not. let me know ASAP.

That roll pin is exposed to all kinds of corrosion and as KC wrote, you need to spray it liberally on both ends with good penetrant and let it soak for 5-6 hours.. WD-40 and Liquid Wrench are not very good at this. Get some Zep Penetrant or Wurth Rost-Off if you can.

Then, using the correct size punch, hit the roll pin some good ones with a hammer and drive it out. Its NOT easy. With the roll pin out and the top of the strut cartridge released from the upper strut bearing, you can lift it out of the strut tube.

Before you insert the new cartridges, pack some moly grease into the bushings just inside the entrance to the strut tubes. Use new roll pins at the bottom.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:33 AM
glenn '84 targa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys. found the correct punch and some WD-40 and just wacked away at it and voila!!.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: need help ASAP on front shocks . . .