Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Torsion Bar Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Torsion Bar Replacement Question

I'm about to replace the rear torsion bars on my SC with 29mm Sway-Aways. I'm no stranger to the procedure as I've done this replacement on my 944 (which I've heard is harder than the 911...at least I hope it is.)

My questions are:

1. With the calculator that is floating around...based on the weight of my car (I'm estimating 2,800 lbs. - No AC but it's a targa), Euro Ride Height selection, and 29mm bars I should set the spring plate angle to 22 - 23 degs. I want to be on the lower end of the euro ride height...maybe a bit below. So I'm thinking more 21-22 degs. Does this all sound right?

2. On the 944 in order for me to get the spring plate on and off, I had to disconnect the trailing arm from the body so I could move the whole wheel assembly in and out away from the spring plate. In all the procedures I've read for the 911, I don't see this step. Is it necessary?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Everything connected to the radius arm (spring plate) must be disconnected and held out of the way. Before measuring your spring plate you must also remove the lower, rear bolt from the outer bushing cover. It has a removable spacer to allow the spring plate to hang. For reference, a stock USA coupe is set a 39 degrees (with Bilsteins), a RoW (Euro height) coupe is set at 34 degrees (with Bilsteins). Those measurements are from horizontal, using a second protractor on the door threshold.
Don't get too far below Euro height because your shocks won't be able to work due to lack of travel.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete.

Well, I'm in the middle of the job and I cannot get the spring plate out of it's hole. Besides this problem, it has been much easier getting to this point than it was on the 944. No dropping the suspension.

Any ideas of what I should try to get the spring plate out? I've been prying at it, but it won't budge. I spray it with silicone lube for tonight and will give it another try tomorrow. I'm tired.

I replaced my rear shocks today before I started the torsion bars. That's a job I never want to do again. Getting at the upper shock mount is a PITA! Especially on the passenger side!

Quick Reply: Rear Torsion Bar Replacement Question