Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how do you adjust the breaker point?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
mii..

Default how do you adjust the breaker point?

hi guys, the 912 forum is a ghost town. i have a 66 912 and i just replaced the ignition coil and point breaker for regular maintainence. Now the car won't start. Cranks and cranks all day long. My guess is the point needs adjusting but I've moved it every which way and still nothing. Plus this thing gets flooded so I have to space out my tries. So how do I adjust the breaker point? Anybody got any pics of how it's supposed to fit?

p.s. i left the old one at the parts shop.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Turn the engine until the point rubbing block is on a high spot (lobe) of the distributor cam. At this point there should be about .016" clearance between the contacts. Snug down the screw, dampen a Q-Tip with lacquer thinner, gently spread the point contacts apart so that you can slide the Q-Tip between them - that will remove shipping impurities. Close it up, the car should start. After it's running you will have to set the dwell angle and timing. If it won't run you'll have to post pics of the inside of the distributor so we can see what you've got. By now you also might have fouled the plugs, if they're wet the car won't start.

Quick Reply: how do you adjust the breaker point?