first start 76 911S CIS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 09:26 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first start 76 911S CIS

Long story Short

I started my car the other day………………first time in the 14 years that I’ve owned it.
OK, OK, I’ve been busy.

Problem is, if I turn the ignition on and go back to the engine and lift the sensor plate. (Prime it a little) I can then start it but it only runs for 10 seconds or so.

If I do the same again but put a bit of right boot into it I can get it to run but I’ve got to keep it above 2500 rpm. If I take my foot off the throttle, it dies.

As some will know I have set Fuel pressure, cold control pressure and warm control pressure.
I have removed the cold start valve and ensured that it and its connecting wiring is functioning correctly.

I have set the ignition distributor with a test light while static at 5 degrees ATDC.

What have I got to do now?

Go rich with the mixture screw in the fuel distributor/sensor plate?
Increase idle via the Air bypass screw?

It still sounds bad because I haven’t plugged up the EGR holes in the heads yet.

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:30 PM
74er
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like air / fuel ratio but you might want to check timing as well. You might want to start by changing your idle bypass and get it to idle then start adjusting fuel/timing/air/repeat/etc./gas analyzer...you know the story from there. Do you have new injectors? If not, you should check the flow from them. Is the fuel distributor plunger moving freely or could it be sticking? Oh, and congratulations on the first start. You should have heard my first start...plunger was stuck giving great amounts of fuel...sounded, well, loud and there was alot of smoke. Make note that if you are currently running very rich, you should change your oil soon due to fuel contamination to oil.

Quick Reply: first start 76 911S CIS