Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition Key problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take off the steering wheel. But first disconnect negative battery cable. Then wrestle off the horn pad - my 87 Carrera was on so tight, I thought I would break something. But with a great deal of angst, it pulled off cleanly. So you may have search here for SC horn pad removal advice. But once you have the pad off, you will use a deep well socket at 27 mm (or some similar size) a 10" (?) 1/2" extension and 1/2" ratchet. Hold wheel firmly with the left hand while untightening the steering wheel nut. I think I read earlier your wheel lock mechanism is broken, but just to be safe, don't force the nut off while the wheel is locked by the wheel locking mechanism or at the wheel stop at full left or full right. Hold wheel still with a strong left hand. You don't want to damage the steering rack/pinion or the wheel lock device. Once you unscrew the wheel nut, simply pull back on the wheel to slide off the spline end of the steering shaft. You will have to deal with the horn wire which slides on and off with one of those spade connectors. Once you master steering wheel removal, you can replace the steering column controls including the turn signal switch, which also contains the high/low headlight switch. This high beam/low beam switch typically burn out on 911's of 80's vintage. So you don't need to remove the engine to replace the turn signal assembly, but at 6-5, you will need to remove the front seat. Also, you might want to invest in a Bentley Service Manual for your year and model. Probably cheaper used on ebay or Amazon.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Hey sig_a,
I'm going out on a limb here but I used to have a sig226 for work. Is that your user name reference?
Close. SIG 220. (.45 Auto)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sig_a

mmmmmmmmmmmm 45 ACP aarrrhrhhhh (think Homer simpson saying that)
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Chas
Pro

Originally Posted by psychoideas
What steering wheel do you have. the Porsche 3 spoke?
Yes it's the 3 spoke with plastic horn cover.

sig_a, do I just pull straight towards me on the full "three-leaf" plastic horn cover?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
sig_a
Pro

Pulling straight back directly away from the wheel works on my 87 911. But the design is different in that my horn pad is rectangular in shape. Yours may twist off by turning counter clockwise as on my old 914. I just don't know. Someone somewhere on this board will know. Be patient and keep investigating and reading. You'll find it. Also, you may want to consult your Porsche parts department or service manager. My experience is they can be very helpful. And many times buying parts from them is competitive vs. online sources. Plus, they generally have access to all the information you need. Just take your time.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easier to remove the bolts with a small-tipped chisel. Put two little dings across from each other in the head of each bolt, then hold your chisel with its tip in those dents, first one, then the other, at an angle so the bolt will turn counterclockwise when you tap the chisel with a hammer. No wheel removal necessary...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
It's easier to remove the bolts with a small-tipped chisel. Put two little dings across from each other in the head of each bolt, then hold your chisel with its tip in those dents, first one, then the other, at an angle so the bolt will turn counterclockwise when you tap the chisel with a hammer. No wheel removal necessary...
This advice of non removal of wheel might be right. It's your call. But as you are six feet - five inches tall, seems to me you will either have to remove the steering wheel or the driver's seat or perhaps both to remove, rewire and replace the ignition/wheel lock mechanism. Keep in mind, you will be working on your back, upside down and underneath/behind the dash board. The ultimate success of your project has a great deal to do with how comfortable you are while "in there".
Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Chas
Pro

thanks everyone, I have the wheel cover off...and just need to know what size the nut is that I need to buy an extension for....does anyone have a parts book or anything that could just look up and let me know what size that nut is??? It looks somewhere just a bit over an inch across. Obviously I can't drive the car to the auto parts store to try all the special sockets out till I find the right one.

At this point, it looks easiest to remove the wheel and ez out the ignition assembly...then separate the mechanical and electrical components so that I can start the car and get it home (it REALLY needs to get moved from this parking lot), and then I can order a new mechanical component to swap in.

Again, thanks to all for your help...this is exactly why I love Rennlist so much!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nut requires a 27 mm socket. I use a deep socket with a short extension. Be sure to hgave something to hold hte wheel so you do not use your steering stops as the way to hold the wheel while you turn the nut.

If you go over to Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...g_bushing.htm), they have a tech section that outlines the procedure to remove the steering wheel and part of the Steering Wheel Wobble fix. If you do not have them already, two very good books to have is the Bentley manual for your car and "101 Projects for your 911" by Wayne Dempsey (CEO Pelican Parts).
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sig_a

I love my Sigs, especially my P220 38 Super.

Sigforum.com

Quick Reply: Ignition Key problem