Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Restoring my toolkit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring my toolkit...

After a little bit of searching, I discovered that my "new" '76 911 came with the original toolkit!

However, it was right by the battery and the toolkit and tools themselves have a lot of the same kind of white gunk that you tend to find on neglected battery terminals. The tool bag is made of a heavy oiled cloth and I'd like to restore it to as close to original as possible. Any recommendations? Also, what's the best way to clean that gunk off the tools? A little kerosene/gasoline works great on "regular" tools, but I didn't know if these are made out of some kind of unobtanium that would be damaged by cleaning them that way....

BTW, here's a pic. Does this toolkit look complete or am I missing anything?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jcr127/7...39064914814370

THANKS!

Jeff

Last edited by GeneralTso; 08-03-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

looking at all your pictures....I'd say you have some great times ahead getting to know your car. what an awsome project and a garage to do it in. get some tools, put up some posters, paint the floor, get the oldest lazy-boy recliner you can find, run the digital signal from the dish to a new plasma on the wall and move in. when your wife finds you asleep under the car and doesn't let the jack down on you, you will know your marage is safe for one more day.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tool kit in my 81 Targa was missing all of the combination wrenches, so I ordered them from Porsche, they are all still available from PAG.

I'll look at your picture and check the parts dvd to see if you have everything over the weekend.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
ga
Advanced

I did the same toolkit cleanup about a year ago, and got all of that "white corrosion" stuff off using a soft brass wire wheel on my bench grinder. After that I put them all in a plastic pan and soaked them with WD40 for a day, then wiped them off and put them back in the pouch. Still looking like new.ga
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Not sure if it is all there but you have the important stuff, the wrench for the pulley for the fan belt and the tow hook, as well as the spark plug remover.

BTW the front piece is to store a spare belt.

check here and look up your car , it has all your parts including the toolkit breakdown

good luck

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...spdfcatalogue/
Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Originally Posted by douglas bray
looking at all your pictures....I'd say you have some great times ahead getting to know your car. what an awsome project and a garage to do it in. get some tools, put up some posters, paint the floor, get the oldest lazy-boy recliner you can find, run the digital signal from the dish to a new plasma on the wall and move in. when your wife finds you asleep under the car and doesn't let the jack down on you, you will know your marage is safe for one more day.
LOL...

Iceman: Thanks for the link...that is an amazing resource!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Restoring my toolkit...