Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

freeflow muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post freeflow muffler

Who makes the best freeflow muffler? Ok I know thats a wide open question...what is your favorite freeflow muffler and how much does it cost. I am getting ready to order the Fabspeed Euro Premuffler and want to also upgrade to the freeflow muf and chip for a little more kick. Any suggestions are welcome. Personally...the louder the better....but I don't want to do anything to hurt or rob the engine.

--Von
Old 04-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on the sound that I want and a power gain to boot, Ive decided to go all Fabspeed (Pre-muffler, one in/two out, chip). The sound is very distinct - plenty loud - with no "ricer noises" like resonance or poping. The trio of parts runs just around $2500 I think, they are designed to work together, and supposedly give you 28 HP at the wheels.

If all you want is sound, Ive also heard that alot of people actually like Flowmaster.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:57 PM
J.P.
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Von,

The best muffler in my opinion for a 911 is a Flowmaster. I know it may sound strange, but these mufflers are very non-restrictive (while maintaining enough back-pressure for low-end torque) and sound great.

Call me if you have any questions regarding how to make this set-up work. Hopefully they won't take this post down too.

Jimmy
(650) 992-0978
Old 04-26-2003, 12:10 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Flowmaster's rock on 911's. Just call it a 'Flaumeister' when your PCA buddies raise their eyebrows.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

I'll just chime in here and affirm that indeed, the Flowmasters (Series 80) works VERY well on 911's if the system has the proper lengths. This is what we use for all of the race muffler systems we build and no other race muffler makes as much power and torque.

Some guys use them on the street, but they are too loud (in street use) for my own tastes.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:25 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a Flowmaster + OEM euro premuff on my car now. Huge difference over factory cat + muffler. Better power all around and the sound is great. Fabspeed buyers report fit problems - the other half report delivery problems. Pelican has the Dansk version which is basically an OEM stainless piece. They charge a bit more but at least you know that you'll get it, and it'll fit

As for the sound, it's has a raspy mechanical sound that isn't obnoxious or droning at any speed. Puttering along you can still hear the fan. The moment you put the boot down it shrieks, at high rpm's it's great - really loud outside, quiet inside. You WILL be noticed when you do that, and it's still civilized inside the car. Gotta have the premuffler to get all the sound and power. Was following my brother home the other day on I-5 and I was 6 car lengths behind him when I nailed it to pass everyone, he said it sounded like the car next to him. It's routine for everyone to turn and look as you're approaching driving around town. Inside you never have any idea that it's like that out there. Perfect!

If you want to cut the Valance for dual outs, buy the Flowmaster for the 82-92 V8 Camaro. If you opt for the single out like factory buy the Roush Mustang (PN#52580) and have it torched in. I paid $220 installed with 3" tip, and the premuff wasn't much either. Wasn't that impressive sound-wise till the premuff was added.

This combo isn't gonna change - never gonna buy a $1k Stainless setup. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Here's MIK911's thread on his installation on an 86 - but no premuff <a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101890" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101890</a>

rjp
Old 04-26-2003, 12:23 PM
bship
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree the Flowmaster has the deep throaty sound I was looking for but it is very loud(my cat is also gutted). I love it but my wife doesnt and I could do without the resonance on long hwy driving. I had my local muffler shop design some baffles to insert in the pipes with a bolt in each to hold them in. It reduces the exhaust hole to a little larger than a quarter. When I am at the track or doing some spirited driving thru the countryside it takes less than 2 minutes to remove them. I think it is the perfect set up! Maybe because its mine!!

Quick Reply: freeflow muffler