Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

On to the next projects. Brake service and windshield replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007 | 11:53 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default On to the next projects. Brake service and windshield replacement.

Brakes: Are there any quality concerns for using equivalent front brake rotors (Century) and wheel bearings (Temkin)? My local independent auto parts store has them in stock and the parts is about 1/2 of the price from Sunset Porsche. I would still use OEM pads.

Headliner: My headliner has a few rips and imperfections. The cost to do that work is reasonable, but the design requires removal of front, rear and 2 quarter glass pieces. This raises the price significantly. I figured that I might as well replace the windshield while I am at it. The problem there is the cost for the antenna laden windshield is ~$600 compared to ~$225 for non-antenna type. Does anyone know of a So Cal based reasonably price auto glass shop? Alternatively, I am considering using a non-antenna windshield. That is if I can find a good substitute antenna (without adding a whole in the fender for a mast type). Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2007 | 12:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timken usually makes decent bearings, IMO. I am using them on my 84 fronts FWIW.

I would not cheap out on the rotors though. I was used to buying rotors for $30 each on the SHO, but on the 911 the prices shocked me. I was able to get a set of drilled & cad plated zimmermans for around $465 delivered. Braking is much improved over the old rotors, no rapid lockup like before, and no vibration either.

There were recent threads about using an SC windshield at a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-03-2007 | 07:14 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my rotors and pads a few years. I did a search on the rotor p/n and zimmerman. I think I got them for $90 each but they came in as cross drilled. I also went with Hawk HPS pads.

When I did the rears I tried the same thing but got the non-cross drilled. At the time Hawk did not have the rear pads. I used PRB ceramics or something like that.

I really love the braking on the Hawks for everyday. Makes stopping at red lights fun! Extremely low dust and at 40K on them 40-50% left. They do look tough on rotors as expected.

Quick Reply: On to the next projects. Brake service and windshield replacement.