Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When did the oversteer thing REALLY get fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Learn what it takes to spin too (in a wide open area) - you'll be a better driver because of it.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke:
Several posts indicate that all cars have their inherent understeer/oversteer issues. Many posts have said you should learn the individual car's characteristic handling. I say +1 to both of these.

I also believe in 2 very simple priciples, whether driving a 911, a Lincoln Towncar, a Ferrari, a '69 Cadillac de Ville: into a corner too fast, you'll understeer. Lift in the middle of a corner (or near the end of a corner after ecceleration), you'll oversteer.

Also: Input aggressively anywhere in a corner (whether it's pedal input or steering input), and you'll upset the balance of the car, overload your suspension, and go off course. For instance: into a corner too fast and jerk the wheel to "compensate", you'll lose front-tire traction and understeer right off the course. Excellerate too hard out of the corner while "releasing" the steering wheel and letting it slide through your hands, you'll break the rear loose and oversteer.

Once you know the fundementals of car handling, you can both avoid inwanted predicaments, and use that knowledge to your advantage. Many podium-finishing drivers/racers use just a touch of tail-out technique to 'rotate' the car through the corners while deftly steering with the throttle. Watch any Vic Elford videos from his glory days and you'll see what I'm talking about. He was a true master of throttle-steer/oversteer technique. Many of today's European rally drivers use the same technique.

Personally, I'd recommend either a 911SC or an '84 to '89 Carrera. Excellent handling, great power-to-weight, and bullet proof reliablility if you're sharing the car as a track/street machine.

Regardless of what you buy, you'll most likely love every minute of driving it; especially of you take a Driver's Training course/Performance Driving course.

Happy Trails!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for all the input. It has put my concerns to rest for any or all of the years I am looking at.

I do have another question on horse power - but that is best started with a new thread.

Thanks again, Bruce
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I found it

The oversteer is definitely a lot of fun most of the time. The only time it has bitten me was when I hit loose marbles.

Dramatic understeer quickly flipped into understeer when my front tires grabbed traction at the same instant while the rear tires were in the marbles.

Quick Reply: When did the oversteer thing REALLY get fixed?