Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

GM E.O.S. Break-In Oil Group Buy Interest...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:27 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg D.
The world's ending, the world is ending !!! ;-)

There are still plenty of oils that fit our cars without the need for additives, are still for sale, and will do just fine for our cars...

Here's some:

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
I'll have to defer to the experts, but Steve Weiner's recommendation is good enough for me, and although I didn't read that link, Charles Navarro (the author) seems to have backed up Steve's advice on various Pelican threads as I recall. I do recall that Mobil 1 was one of the FEW "good ones" when this discussion began a year or so ago, and now they have changed their formula too...better safe than sorry is my take on it. Fred, at that latest price point, I'll take a case (6) if you need to unload some.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:23 PM
rickdm
Racer

I have been following the whole oil discussion over at Pelican and I have accumulated 20 quarts of the Mobil 1 V-Twin (which I had to buy 4 bottles at a time at Autozone), and a case of the GM EOS. I bought the EOS from GMpartsdirect.com at $5.51 a bottle. When did GM decide to start raping us at $20 a bottle? Or did the dealers just figure out the demand and lack of product?

rickdm
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:40 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

It's no longer available on that site (I just checked), and it appears that at least one dealer has figured it out. I'd tell them where they could keep the bottles for $20

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:55 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Exactly Keith. All of the large GM Parts Places online typically aren't stocking this anymore, and all they do is try to order (and can't). We're "down" to what's at a dealership already. Online from Texas the price was $6.97 / bottle (list is almost $10 / bottle), plus shipping. Buying local is a little lower but I'm paying 5% MA sales tax now, and donating my time & gas for the hour trip, then boxing up & shipping out to whoever wants it.

From the response rec'd so far, I'll only acquire the 36 bottles I've ordered already from the semi-local dealer, and keep the others I've already picked up / ordered online for myself. If demand picks up here, I'll either point them to the dealer or see about picking up more for you guys.

For those who do want qty's, please formalize with an email / pm w/ how much & a shipping address. I'll calc shipping tonight / tomorrow after picking up & get rolling on this.
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

stopped in to my local GMC dealer for $218.00 in ball joints and in the display case for sale is a small blue bottle of EOS. They have "cases and cases" at $9 something a pop.

Where do we get R12?
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:12 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

I hadn't actually seen the Pelican thread on EOS before now. As I had remembered, Charles Navarro (the author on the lnengineering site) is a proponent of EOS (and apparently has purchase all remaining quantities in his area ).
Here's the link: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=358234

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-26-2007 | 05:04 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

>I'll have to defer to the experts, but Steve Weiner's recommendation is good enough for me

I have a recent Steve Weiner quote right here:
"We are using Brad-Penn & Swepco 306 around here and only use the EOS for initial engine start and break-in on our dyno"

How often do you break in your engine ???

Like I said above, nothing wrong with the group buy, but there are plenty of modern oils STILL good for our cars. The only reason to buy EOS is if you happen to have a drum of oil in your garage that you want to use and is low in "good stuff". If not, for the price of EOS, you can almost buy 4x as much good oil !! Like the brad penn, swepco, or castrol GTX...
Old 07-27-2007 | 09:01 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg D.
>I'll have to defer to the experts, but Steve Weiner's recommendation is good enough for me

I have a recent Steve Weiner quote right here:
"We are using Brad-Penn & Swepco 306 around here and only use the EOS for initial engine start and break-in on our dyno"

How often do you break in your engine ???

Like I said above, nothing wrong with the group buy, but there are plenty of modern oils STILL good for our cars. The only reason to buy EOS is if you happen to have a drum of oil in your garage that you want to use and is low in "good stuff". If not, for the price of EOS, you can almost buy 4x as much good oil !! Like the brad penn, swepco, or castrol GTX...
I'm probably going to look into changing my brand (I've always used Kendal GT1), but that's the problem, at least around here. There do not seem to be 'plenty' of modern oils that are still "good" and available locally. I used Castrol for many years (other cars), but I've read some not so good things lately (I think from Steve W.), and I've never seen Swepco or Brad Penn anywhere. What about the guys that run synthetic (now that Mobil 1 has changed their formula), what's their option? Not meaning to argue...I'm still learning as I go along and curious
Old 07-27-2007 | 09:39 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Keith -
Keep in mind that Kendall isn't the same Kendall that the reputation is built on. The original well / stocks are now in the Brad Penn oil.

I'm also using Kendall GT1 currently with the EOS adder, but am concerned with a high rpm / lower oil pressure reading. I asked Steve about what to try next (IIRC he was the one who recommended the Brad Penn). I contacted BP (or tried to anyway), and never got a response on where to buy here in New England.

Swepco's easier, you can just order online at a number of places.
Old 07-27-2007 | 09:51 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Keith -
Keep in mind that Kendall isn't the same Kendall that the reputation is built on. The original well / stocks are now in the Brad Penn oil.....
Yep, I realize they changed Kendall, but I just haven't found a suitable replacement locally (hence the EOS). I'd like to find a Brad Penn, Swepco, etc. locally rather than have it shipped. Thanks all!
Old 07-27-2007 | 12:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Gents:

Brad-Penn and Swepco are not mass-marketed and you'll not find either product in stores.

The foundation of their use is from shops that know about lubricants and use these products and I'd recommend calling their respective refineries to see who distributes their products in your area.

Brad-Penn is made by the American Refining Group in Bradford, PA (814) 368-1200.

Southwest Petroleum is in Ft Worth, TX (800) 877-9372.

What could be easier??

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 07-27-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2007 | 01:03 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Thanks a bunch Steve!
Old 07-30-2007 | 04:24 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, found it: the discontinued GM EOS is now Delco EOS 12371532
For those looking...
Old 07-30-2007 | 04:30 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Greg:

1) Systems aren't coming up with the PN you list. Not saying it's invalid, just saying even AC Delco Parts places don't have a clue about it yet.

2) Rumor has it, the replacement PN has nowhere near the zinc level as the old PN, FWIW.

There are a few other online forums out there with the same discussion going on, and the indication on some of them is they're going to have the product specs reviewed / tested / compared with EOS. I've bookmarked those & will keep an eye on it.

In the meantime, looks like I'll be down to around 18 bottles available after meeting the emailed / pm'd inquiries so far.
Old 11-30-2007 | 09:41 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default eos new number

Quick Reply: GM E.O.S. Break-In Oil Group Buy Interest...