Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear seat belt system for Cabrio (and car seat)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 PM
desmo907
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat belt system for Cabrio (and car seat)?

I tried to perform a search here but only get a white screen thus I'll ask the question.

I have a 1988 911 Cabriolet. I also have a [tall] 4 year old son (~45lbs) that likes to ride with me. His current car seat (4 point harness) will not fit in the back. I wanted to maybe try his booster seat system but it requires a shoulder belt which the Cab is absent. The Porsche dealer says a shoulder belt is listed in the specs and I can buy one (expensive) but am suspect if i can really mount it (from other threads i read on another Forum). I was thinking of just removing the seats to fit the car seat but also remove the lap belt and put in something (eye bolts?) to use the LATCH system on the car seat. However I won't have a top mounting point.

Anyone solve this issue?

thx!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

This has been covered various times so you may want to refine your search. I was in the same boat and used a variety car seat anchoring methods until my oldest was big enough to use just the jump seat belts (at 45 lbs yours should be too). There are OEM rear belts but they seem to be hard to get. I ended up using this shoulder belt mod: http://www.peparts.com/StoreFront.bok
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

glad to see there is another '88 cab out and about. we solved this problem by using the chevy or ford to drop off the kids at grandma's house prior to pulling out the Porsche. works every time and the kids don't suspect a thing. sometimes it takes 2 - 3 days at grandma's house before they even ask where we are. the sunburn was a dead giveaway this weekend.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM
desmo907
AutoX

I am trying to replace the stock seat belt bolts with eye bolts and use my LATCH seat but got differing opinion on the bolt thread pitch. Anyone replace them and know what the exact pitch it?
I went to Lowes and my stock bolts fit a M12 1.5 metric but also a 7/16 20 nut fit on it as well.
The guy at the Marine shop used some silly tool he scraped across the threads and said it matched a 1.25 pitch (which it it did not at Lowes).

Quick Reply: Rear seat belt system for Cabrio (and car seat)?