Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Body work suggestions.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:26 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Default Body work suggestions.....

Ok the car is going in for a few touch ups this Friday, my body shop guy owes me a favor so this will be a freebie, hopefully or a small charge. The ding on the roof is getting fixed, (thanks to Hurricane Katrina) and a badly placed branch when the car was outside. I have an idea of doing a bit of work to the rear bumper area.

I am going to remove the rear rubber bumper pads and the side pieces of rubber but leave the accordion rubber on the sides. Id also like to remove the center rear valance so the shiny s/s exhaust is visible from the rear of the car. Sort of like the earlier cars. The car is a track car and a weekend driver, and the car is so far from period correct due to the PO. I am also deleting the front smile rubber and having the front fiberglass re-shot.

What do you guys think?

Below are pics of progress so far...I think it looks good from the back...but what do i know?

Last edited by Graufuchs; 07-19-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:32 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Old 07-19-2007 | 11:39 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI... when I got tapped in the back bumper pad last month, and I took a photo of the parking lot / spacing / etc. I noticed this:

Look at your tail vs. the rear bumper. It's barely a case of "hit the pads first before hitting the rubber lip on the tail" with the pads on. In your pic, you can see it's obviously a "hit the tail first" situation. A normally light hit may end up costing you a LOT of money.

Other than that, I've seen the smoothed bumpers before and it really depends on your taste. I have gotten used to the classic SC / Carrera look, so I find it odd.

Mine's also in the shop this week getting a couple of minor things dealt with. The small corner kink that was on the rear decklid when I bought the lid from eBay is fixed now, they've re-shot the decklid & will be reinstalling the Carrera Tail today / tomorrow as their schedule allows. The replacement bumper pad's on (thanks ConeKiller / Mike ). The upholstery's done and the front seat skins are installed (picked the seats up yesterday). Got in the full Tonneau from IslandmanPA / Gene this week (), so I'm excited at the prospect of a purty girl again.

Good luck with yours!
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

While the RS look is nice, I have to agree that you'd rather take the hit on the rubber bumperettes than the tail. What makes the RS style looks so good is because it's different.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:56 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input fred....I agree totally about the impact bumpers sparing the tail in a minor collision....but this is going to be a mainly DE car for now. I just the look of earlier cars that have the muffler exposed, and I did this with the 944 in the front and rear and got rid of all the bumper pads ect.

Just love the smoothed out look. The bumpers can always be put back on in the future.
Old 07-19-2007 | 12:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I've got an RSR/IROC smooth rear fiberglass bumper to fit SC flares. It's new and I'm asking $250 + shipping (shipping on Greyhound is pretty cheap). I attached a picture of the same type of bumper mounted on an SC. Send me a PM if you're interested.

- Cory
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Body work suggestions.....