Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Super Chargers of Knoxville

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Chargers of Knoxville

Does anyone know what happened to these guys? Did they go out of business, if so, did they sell their stock and expertise to someone else. I've heard thaqt air cooled classics in knoxville took over the business. Any truth to this?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
gunlover05
Racer

understand they are out of business....not sure about aircooled taking them over, but suppose you could call them and ask...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I've thought about putting an iron lung on my 3.2, I know the owner of VF engineering, who does kits with Vortech chargers on BMW's VW's, and more importantly, 996 and 997 cars, I've dealt with and installed several of his kits and its top notch stuff and makes reliable HP. If there is enough interest here, I could see if he wants to develop a kit.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Steve,
I just moved to Nashville and need someone to help me install and tweak my turbo kit. Will follow this thread closely...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, did you ever tell us about the conveyor belt chin? now you are going over to the dark side and talking turbo. what happened? next its gonna be shaved Toyo's.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Hi Douglas,
Thanks for your interest. Here's a wordy update: I've been travelling so the convey-belt chin spoiler is still sitting in my Virginia home garage waiting to be attached. I also have not yet had time to post my MSD install in the stock Permatune location. By the way, my 911 is rolling on 40 series 16" Kumhos so you made a good call regarding shaved Toyos. My only allegiance is to the god of speed when it comes to brand name buying.

We just bought a house near Nashville and have rented our VA home, effective August 1st, so moving out has become a top priority. My daughters start school August 13th and we want them to feel settled by then.

A few minutes ago I bought a ticket to take me from here in Hilton Head to Dulles on Friday so I'll have the weekend to work on cars in VA. If I'm able to prep my Vette I'll drive it to Nashville on Monday, otherwise I'll drive my 911 down and put into a storage bay. My new job starts Tuesday, and my Infiniti is already in Nashville waiting for it's commuter duties.

On a similar note, today is my little brother's 40th birthday and on the phone he told me that the new body kit he designed for the Scion XB is nearly ready for production. Let me know if you have any advice I can give him to help him get this new business off the ground.

Other than all of that, yes, I plan to install my BAE turbo kit on my 911 when I find the time. To prepare for this I've installed an MSD box that will retard the timing under boost. A good friend manages the service department of a large dealership in Nashville and I hope to use a lift there afer hours. He and I used to bracket race 11 second turbo charged Buick Grand Nationals down in Fort Lauderdale back in the day, but we both have a lot to learn about Porsche.

My biggest question about a boosted CIS system is how to adjust the fuel curve to keep it fat enough. An exhaust temp gauge can quickly tell me if go lean, but it seems like I'll have to manually adjust the butterfly to do anything about this, and such adjustments will affect the entire RPM range. A modified WUR sounds like a plausible solution but I may not have the talent to do this and I'm reluctant to go with a 7th injector solution. Sticking with a mere 5 lbs of boost may be my best path until I can get a 3.2 with Motronics. (Anybody want to trade my '87 Vette for a complete 3.2?)

All of the advice learned on Rennlist is going to good use as time allows, and the chin splitter I'm putting together with conveyer belt material will probably be put to the test more often once I get the turbo installed and tweak my CIS.

I won't hijack this thread, however, and finding some local TN talent, like the artisans from Knoxville Superchargers, will be a great releif.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, I swear I saw your car in newport beach on sunday. oh ya, turbo something or other....way over my head.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can I help? Air Cooled is not far from my house.
Ask for Skip at A.C.C.: 865-671-4914
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Talking

It's cool to hear that another car like mine was seen, but I haven't had mine near a beach recently. Monday it is likely to be heading South on 81 to 40 into Nashville.

Thanks, Jugger, Skip said we can surf his site at www.aircooledclassics.biz

Last edited by LaughaC; 08-08-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:24 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughaC
On a similar note, today is my little brother's 40th birthday and on the phone he told me that the new body kit he designed for the Scion XB is nearly ready for production. Let me know if you have any advice I can give him to help him get this new business off the ground.
Best body modification kit ever made for a Scion:

Steve
84 Carrera
64 356C race
00 M5
02 G500
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

lol... I don't understand the Scion interest either.

Thx Jugger. I'll call ACC...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Chris welcome to Nashville-- we moved here last year out to Brentwood and love it. What part of of the burbs did you move to? It is nice to see the Tn group getting bigger and more involved.

Ron
Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Thanks Ron,
We move into a house in Thompsons Station this Friday, and are really liking the area except for the commute up 65. Found some nice backroads last weekend.

Let's go drive sometime when we get settled.

btw, we have a 7 yr old golden retriever that sounds a lot like your yellow lab.

Chris@Laughary.com
Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Ron Minson
Pro

Chris, i think that we are about 20 mins apart and yes that drive up 65 to Nashville is not real run. I make it almost everyday and the only thing that saves me is books on tape. it takes the 45 min drive and makes it go by very fast.

Let me know when you get settled and it would be fun go for the drive. I would be very intrested in seeing both the 911 and the Vett.

hopefully things will cool off in the next few weeks and we can make a run down some of those back roads. I am also going to try and get a few of the local Nashville guys to get togather for a drive before the end of summer.

look forward to meeting you.

Ron
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thooughbred Motor cars has a great parts department. Art is Da Man!!

Quick Reply: Super Chargers of Knoxville