Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts on an M5 - NPC

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '00 540 (everyday car) and a '93 964 cab (weekend car), and the porsche is great fun to drive and a car that begs to be driven. But my 540 believe it or not handles, accelerates and brakes pretty much as well as the 964 without as much work, a much more quite and comfortable ride and still decent driver feedback (I have the 6-speed sport 540). I want the hard ride in the 964, but not in the BMW commuting to work! There might be a performance difference on the track, but I don't notice much on public roads.

The M5 is obviously a lot better, but its also more money to buy and then maintain (and probably insure). Both my 540 and 964 are just the right speed for me- 0-60 in mid 5 sec range, and excellent build quality. One area the 540 beats the 964 hands down is in high speed stability- the 964 is excellent, but the 540 sport is like nothing else I've driven. I've hit 140 twice in it (on very empty highways) and it was rock solid- literally felt the same as going 70, and the brakes are very strong to get you down fast.

Anyway, I would try a 540 6-speed to see if that's good enough for you- the M5 is king, but the 540 may be enough for you especially given the price.

By the way, there is an annoying clutch delay valve in the stick 540 (and probably in the M5)- this part delays the full engagement of the clutch in the slightest amount where its hard to make a smooth 1-2 shift. You think your driving the car wrong, but its just this part. I see you live in PA- there's a guy who takes this part out in 10 mintues (he did my car for $50) and this makes a WORLD of difference. It was a poor design to attempt to stop people from dumping the clutch I guess. Here is his web-address:

<a href="http://www.zeckhausen.com/" target="_blank">http://www.zeckhausen.com/</a>

Off topic from your question- He'll also put Porsche Big Red Brakes on anything they fit- he has an Impala SS (looks like the cop car) with PORSCHE Big red brakes peeking though the rims- he uses the Impala for track education- cool stuff!

Andrew

Quick Reply: Thoughts on an M5 - NPC