Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I won my class at the Parade Concours!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More details and interior pics

The original exterior color is continental orange, offered only from 1976-1978. It has been resprayed by a previous owner, it looks like because of some accident damage. I don't know details, but it is evident that the front right fender was replaced. I don't know details of the repaint, but I believe the color to be close to original based upon comparison to the door jambs and engine compartment, which were not repainted. It's not that great a job with some big flaws, but under bright sunlight it looks great from a few feet away. If not for the full repaint, I would be in the preservation category. I am forced into the restoration category under Parade rules. I've done nothing to the paint but wash and wax and touch up rock chips. I just got a Porter Cable polisher so I'm going to tackle all the minor scratching and swirl marks soon. And there are a lot of those. The pics just dont show it, fortunately.

The interior is all original as far as I can tell except for the radio and speakers (previous owners) and steering wheel (me). They cost me a couple of tenths of points for non-originality. The interior is called lobster and is in leatherette. Lobster was offered only for 1977 and 1978. It really looks great for almost 30 years of age (lucky me). It's got some dash warping from heat from living its life in Las Vegas before I picked it up almost 3 years ago.

Engine is all original with numbers matching the Cert. of Authenticity (lucky me again). I don't know if it has ever been apart for major work, but I'm inclined to believe that it hasn't.

The odometer shows 54,000 miles. I bought it almost 3 years ago with 44,000 miles showing. The second owner had it for about 3 years and 3,000 miles and was letting it go to crap. It was a really a great (and lucky) find for me.

Cosmetic restoration has been minimal. Only the steering wheel on the interior. I did a serious cleaning, however. The previous owner had the seats folded down and old dirty t-shirts laid out in the back for his dog to lie on. The dog had shed everywhere and tore the back of the carpeting on one of the seats, but lucky for me again, you don't see it. The stitching on the rear seats was practically black. I cleaned it up using Lexol leather shampoo, a small fingernail brush, and lots of elbow grease. The orange stitching came back pretty nicely.

Outside, I put in new plastic headlight rim pieces, and a new front bumper strip. That's all.

Mechanically, I completely redid the brakes. It had a sticking piston in the front passenger caliper and the well-known leaking master cylinder problem. So, I did brand new calipers in front, bought rebuilt calipers from Vertex for the rear (painted calipers black with high temp spray paint), new master cylinder, new flexible brake lines, new pads and rotors all around, and fresh fluid.

Nearly all the CV joint boots had damage, so I rebuilt the half shafts. Completely degreased and inspected CV joints. 2 were good, 2 were replaced.

Those have been my only major projects, so far, but it does need a suspension refresh. I'm thinking about going with Carrera torsion bars and sway bars, but sticking with neatrix or graphite bushings. Lucky me again, the engine has been solid. After the typical tune-up, distributor cap and rotors, new spark plugs and plug wires, valve adjustment, and timing and mixture adjustment, it runs very nicely. I didn't get a PPI done. I wanted the car so bad as soon as I saw it. I was worried about getting scooped. I got the guy his money as soon as I could. In my opinion, he sold it for a song, firm at $14,000 with 44,000 miles 3 years ago.

But, to be sure, bringing it up to concours condition was a big task. Hours and hours spent cleaning and cleaning (down to q-tips and toothbrushes in the engine compartment). And, I've only entered classes in which only the exterior, interior, luggage compartment, and engine compartment are judged. My suspension, transmission, and underside of engine are still a mess. Maybe in a few years, I'll get it up to full concours condition. But, I don't know, because then I'd be afraid to drive it.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

More interior pics. The interior is a real crowd pleaser. It garners lots of attention.

Brett
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

The car looks fantastic, and I flat-out LOVE the colour scheme. Congratulations.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the 1st place win. Must feel really good to see others admire your car half as much as you.
Great to see an SC grab the win. Your car is perfect. Enjoy.

Michael
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
M491
Racer

Congrats, a first at a Parade concours, in any class, is big leagues!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

The more I see this car, the more I love it. It's a model for us SC owners.

Congratulations Brett.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
kenrinc
Intermediate

Brett,

Congratulations! We had the car next to you (the white 68' 911L). We got 2nd in class for Restoration touring. We had to leave to get back to San Jose so we didn't stay past 3:30pm on Monday. Did they post the results to the web yet? If so let me know where.

I've seen this car up close and it's awesome!

Ken-
San Jose, CA
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Pingo
Racer

That car is "übercool". Please sell it to me. I love it.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brett: Congrats, that's really cool!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Well done!

Well done Brett! Truly an awesome car with a spectacular color combo! You have single-handedly proven that the SCWDP not only lives, but is gathering strength!

BTW, here is the latest design for the badges: Will look great with your orange!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hearty congratulations to you for a beautiful car and a job well done. That took a lot of patience!!

chuck
Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenrinc
Brett,

Congratulations! We had the car next to you (the white 68' 911L). We got 2nd in class for Restoration touring. We had to leave to get back to San Jose so we didn't stay past 3:30pm on Monday. Did they post the results to the web yet? If so let me know where.

I've seen this car up close and it's awesome!

Ken-
San Jose, CA
Thanks Ken,

No, they never got the results up. I was there until 5pm. I don't know where the meltdown in scoring was. By chance, I happened to see they had them posted in the hospitality room on Thursday. I was truly shocked. Turns out the non-originality items weren't deducted too harshly, and I guess, the cleanliness of the rest of the car carried the day (well, and the tour points).

Congrats on your finish as well. I don't know if the scores are published anywhere, yet. I'm wondering the same.

For others, Ken's 911L was a 3 year ground up restoration project. Professional looking work done by a few amateurs who love the car. Great stuff.

Brett
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Well done Brett! Truly an awesome car with a spectacular color combo! You have single-handedly proven that the SCWDP not only lives, but is gathering strength!

BTW, here is the latest design for the badges: Will look great with your orange!
Do you think you could add a little more orange to it?

Brett
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Excellent job!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Always loved your car...
Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Congratulations. Just entering a concourse represents lots of hard work. Winning is icing on the cake.

Quick Reply: I won my class at the Parade Concours!