Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Paint Finish on a 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:26 AM
Adrian de Silva
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Paint Finish on a 87 Carrera

Would someone please tell me the type of paint finish applied to a 87 Carrera. Also, does it have a clear coat?

Second question: My 87 paint finish is in really good condition except for scrathes in the paint. They are deep enough that it is not possible to just polish them out. Anyone know of a good shop in Southern California that would be able to safely buff out the scrathes?

Adrian d.
Guards Red
'87 Carrera Coupe [img]null[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 03:42 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm not completely sure of an '87 but on my '84 I just painted my front valence and rear deck lid with Glasurit 21. Current replacement is Glasurit 22 - which is supposed to be a little better because it has 30% higher pigment content. Glasurit is what I believe is factory paint. Glasurit 55 is a two stage paint,(a dull base coat followed by a clear coat, and Glasurit 90 is a water based paint which I hear many body shops have had trouble with. Guards Red (aka India Red, Indischrot) is a single stage paint meaning no clear coat. It blends beautifully with your old paint so that if you spot touch an area and buff it out, your cannot see a difference at where the old paint ends, and the new paint begins. I shot three coats, wet sanded it with 600, 1000, then 2000, and polished with PPG polishing compound - it now looks like glass. If your scratches are just fine, you may want to try wet sanding it yourself with 1000, then 2000, and using PPG polishing compound. Complete the residual cleaning and polish with some Black Elbony and/or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Or you can take it to a body shop if you want. Marco's Body Shop in the Los Angeles area is what I have heard does the best work - you cannot see the repairs, they are very expensive, but I also know the are a repairer that is highly approved by 21st Century Insurance - according to my friend who is a claims adjuster for them. I have seen their work and it is phenomenal. For example, on my friend's BMW 325, light front damage was repaired at $7500. Someone dented his passenger door in the parking lot, so R&R for a door is $3500.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Paint Finish on a 87 Carrera