Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stuck oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
raikkonen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck oil filter

Performing my first change. 1971 911t. Does the filter loosen when turned away from me or towards me (loosen towards the front of the car or the back?) Any hints for loosening the thing? It's a Mahle, and it's only been on for a year. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

It would be a cruel joke if it turned clockwise for removal.
Turn counter-clockwise.
Should come off by hand. If not, use a rubber strap wrench, a chain wrench or a universal oil filter wrench. Push comes to shove you poke a screwdriver through it.
Hand tighten to put new one back on.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Allen70SSan Diego
Advanced

Here's my 2 cents worth. I agree with the counterclockwise rotation, looking down toward the base, to remove. Last year the shop apparently had a gorilla install the Mahle filter in my 70S. My "universal oil filter wrench" wasn't close enough tolerance to remove it (the wrench slipped to the next flat unter the high torque). I had to use about a foot long "cheater tube" on my chain wrench handle to remove the filter. Note that you can't change your mind later if you use the screwdriver-through-the-filter approach.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 PM
kplackmeyer
Advanced

Sounds like when it was put on it didn't get a thin film of fresh oil put on the gasket....
Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by kplackmeyer
Sounds like when it was put on it didn't get a thin film of fresh oil put on the gasket....
..exactly .

lefty loosy righty tighty .... it sure can be a bear , especially if you get oil on your hands, I think the rubber strap is the safest way to go ...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
raikkonen
AutoX

Thanks everyone. Since my home tools are limited, I ended up driving a screwdriver through it w/ a mallet (!), and used the screwdriver to wrench it loose. It actually worked really well and came off smoothly. Thank God. As a side note, I was amazed at how much oil there was in the tank and how incredibly fast it came out. (the sump was far less dramatic!)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Turn counter-clockwise. Should come off by hand. If not, use a rubber strap wrench, a chain wrench or a universal oil filter wrench. Push comes to shove you poke a screwdriver through it. Hand tighten to put new one back on.
A many years ago (15-20?), I purchased a Klein Tool called a "Grip-It," which is a strap/handle type of removal tool that I have used on all my vehicles/tractors to remove oil filters. Recently, the strap had finally worn out and I tracked down the manufacturer through the web. The result was it has a lifetime warranty, no receipts or questions, mailed it back to them and had a brand new one in a week or so. You have to love quality tools and manufacturers that support their products. All disclaimers, just a very happy customer. http://www.kleintools.com/

Regarding the screw driver technique, a friend of mine's 21+ yr old college age son couldn't remove his non-P car's filter and in a desperate attempt tried the screw driver technique, which also failed, so he thought he would drive to Walmart. You know the result. Dad ended up buying a new motor for his truck.
regards,
Steve
Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Turn counter-clockwise.
Should come off by hand. If not, use a rubber strap wrench, a chain wrench or a universal oil filter wrench. Push comes to shove you poke a screwdriver through it.
Hand tighten to put new one back on.
BTDT the first time I tried to remove mine after purchasing several years ago. None of my oil filter wrenches worked (including a rubber strap type), and the screwdriver was just ripping the filter apart without getting it loose. My solution, a pair of "Big Azz" channel lock pliers that could get a grip and remove the mangled mess of a filter (after all my other failed attempts). Since then (with me installing the filters), your basic oil filter wrench works fine. I'm glad you won!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by raikkonen
Thanks everyone. Since my home tools are limited, I ended up driving a screwdriver through it w/ a mallet (!), and used the screwdriver to wrench it loose. It actually worked really well and came off smoothly. Thank God. As a side note, I was amazed at how much oil there was in the tank and how incredibly fast it came out. (the sump was far less dramatic!)

Glad t hear the screw driver worked. It really would have been bad if that didn't work. Then what do you do?

Glad it worked out.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Glad t hear the screw driver worked. It really would have been bad if that didn't work. Then what do you do?

Glad it worked out.
Duct tape of course!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton

Glad it worked out.
BIG AZZ Channel locks
Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Keith's "Big Azz" channel locks were our tool of choice at the shop. They are an easy tool to use, and have plenty of leverage. We ran across numerous filters installed by others that had been put on way to tight, and the big pliers never failed us. The new filter should be installed by hand, with a thin layer of clean oil on the gasket. All of my mechanics had filter wrenches, for the most part they were never used on 911s, mainly 944s, etc. A filter wrench did come in handy for doing a minor service (oil & filter + safety inspection) on a '70s vintage car with aftermarket A/C. Access was a problem, and it took longer to move the A/C compressor off to the side than to do the service!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by raikkonen

Welcome to 911 ownership and oil changes.

What I like to use for oil changes is my own modified 5-gallon paint bucket cut down so that it can get beneath the car when it's jacked up a bit and ket not spill anything. I then scribbed the inside of it to reflect numbers of quarts. here is virtually nothing in the engine compared to the oil reservoir, so always be prepared for that massive deluge. Let the bolt(s) go,--fish them out later with a magnet.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a B**** of a time removing the oil filter from my Jetta GLI.
Very tight space under the car andmy cup filter removal wrench kept slipping.

I tried the belt wrench, no luck except for the breaker bar smacking me in the forehead

Screw driver,no luck.

I ended up pucnhing a few large nailed into the sideof the filter and tapping the side of nails with a large hammer till it loosened up.

Cup oil filter removal tool worked fine on the Porsche.

John
Old 07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

the first time I filled my car ( read overfilled of course ) I decided to just quickly take off the oil tank plug for a brief second to let the excess out . This was in winter at the time thinking the oil would be thicker.. no problem right ... ? needless to say the feeling of oil deluging out of the tank and down your arm inside your winter jacket is quite the feeling .... :-)

Quick Reply: Stuck oil filter