Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock... My Tach dosnt work like a tach but more like a clock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 06:02 PM
TwoLaneBlackTop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock... My Tach dosnt work like a tach but more like a clock!

I don't know what is wrong with my tach on my 1985 Turbo Look Carrera. It sometimes works fine bt other times it will stall and then zing to wear it should be really fast! It only seems to do this when I am accelerating hard. It is really annoying and has allready caused me to hit the rev limiter once and shift to soon many other times. Is it the gauge or a sender? Any one have any ideas pn this one?
Old 11-22-2001, 10:11 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Just hang on a dwell meter while driving to check if the CDI Box has a problem.
Mostly it is the tach. ( I never had a CDI signal problem )

Grüsse
Old 11-22-2001, 10:23 AM
type930
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Twolane-

The tach is know also to get wacky when there are voltage regulator problems. When my car was having an overcharge condition tach was fine at idle. BUT when I'd get up on the RPMS it would slap around. SO put a multi-meter on the battery and make sure your running in the 13-14 volt range solid through the revs.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:46 AM
nolieeeeee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had a tach problem with my 930. It seemed to have a mind of it's own from time to time. also was affecting all things electrical, as well as screwing up emmissions testing, and seriously affecting performance. turns out was a faulty alternator, an easy fix. but not before becoming personal for my mechanic. hehe

Quick Reply: Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock... My Tach dosnt work like a tach but more like a clock!