Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any rennlisters in Victoria, Australia.....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any rennlisters in Victoria, Australia.....?

That want to know how to possibly get out of the dreaded speed camera tickets????
Old 07-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Katalog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes Frank - what's the trick?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:35 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, My Brothers in Arms, I mean ….Brothers in Cars.

When you receive a Speeding ticket from the “Traffic Camera Office” the letter will have two dates stamped on it.
The first is the ”Date of the Offence”
The second is the “Date of Notice” This is the very important date because you only have 28 days from this date to act.

Road Safety Act 1986
Section 66 (3) Offences detected by a photographic detection device.
The Legislation states something like:

The owner of the motor vehicle is not guilty of an offence if—

(a) before or within 28 days after the service on the owner of—(the ticket you got in the mail)

(b) The owner satisfies the informant by sworn statement in the prescribed form that the owner did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained the name and address of the person who was driving the motor vehicle at the relevant time.

Before or within 28 days (of that very important date)

The owner. You who got the ticket!

The informant. Will be named on the ticket you got and is generally the bloke in charge of the Traffic Camera Office at the time.

The prescribed form. A Statutory Declaration. (Stat Dec)

The owner did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained the name and address of the person who was driving the motor vehicle at the relevant time.

In English.

I got a camera ticket.
I don’t know where I was or what I was doing yesterday let alone if I was driving my car 3 weeks ago when it was photographed speeding.
On a Stat Dec I stated that,
Yes it is my car.
Several people have access to my car including wife and children.
I named and provided the addresses of the people who may have access to and may have been driving my car on that day. (and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained the name and address of the person who was driving the motor vehicle at the relevant time.)

I said in the Stat Dec that I had asked them if they were driving on that occasion and that they said that they were unsure.

I sent the Stat Dec and the ticket off to the address on the ticket.

Later I received a letter from them saying that the ticket had been withdrawn.

This only applies to privately registered vehicles.

I told the truth on my Stat Dec. We honestly couldn’t say 100% who was driving at the time.

It is perjury to lie on a Stat Dec! Do not lie!

This information is freely available in relevant legislation. (Road Safety Act)

I am putting this “out there” because a lot of people get camera tickets and don’t really know who was driving their car but pay the fine anyway because they think they have to.

If you honestly can’t remember who it was, you don’t have to pay it!

Be aware that a front on camera shot may show the face of the driver. It’s a good idea to pay the fee and get a copy of the photograph. If you cannot identify the driver from this copy, you can say that in your Stat Dec. This goes towards showing “reasonable diligence”

You can also frame the photograph and hang it in your shed.
I knew a local pizza store owner who put the photo of his delivery car speeding onto their staff’s ‘T’ shirts.

Please let me know if you use this and are successful in having the ticket withdrawn.

Please, if you get off using this information, give a little to a children’s charity.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Onya Frank for the info........not that I would ever be knowingly be guilty of adding to the fundraising efforts of the victorian government by exceeding the speed limit by a few km's in any way or form...............However thier have been the odd occasion where I have had to explain myself to the authorities even when driving an emergency vehicle

Quick Reply: Any rennlisters in Victoria, Australia.....?