Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Loss of interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loss of interest

I have lost my way on the road to rebuilding my 84 Carrera, strings of house projects and other cars have side tracked me for the last couple of years, and being a BMW master tech by day, means when I get home the last thing I want to do is swing another wrench. I don't come around here much anymore, and the car just sits. I have a lack of inspiration and interest to finish my project, for awhile. The poor car sits in its little climate controled garage awaiting my time, of which I have none. I have a bitching race spec motor by Performance Developments sitting in my workshop, and most of the parts to finish it, 964 cams and such, but I find myself with no real desire to finish it, I want it done, but can't motivate myself. Any advice?

Side tracks include but not limited to, a nice 96 GTI

A 2100 lb 350 HP GTI sleeper

And my current ride 06 GLI

Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
kplackmeyer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find someone with a 911 in your area and go drive the wheels off of it. You will remember why you bought it in the first place. That should get you motivated to finish it!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

somebody send him a sound bite quick !!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on going for a drive!

Come on out to the PCA Autocross at El Toro MCAS in Irvine on July 17th and I'll see to it that you get a ride. Also, seeing some of the hotrod Porsches out there should be a little inspiration.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
Any advice?
Give it to me.

Seriously though, I third the opinions above.
Go take a ride. There is no substitue.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Auto-X on the 17th? In! Where do I get the specifics? I live on El Toro and Moulton
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
somebody send him a sound bite quick !!

This 900k clip should work

In video, even. Note how the exhaust lifts the object on the floor into the air....
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 AM
dsmith
Racer

so, is the motor complete and in the car? not sure what i'm looking at in the photos. if so, then you should finish it. if not, then you should think about selling it as a whole, get a good price and move on. buy a completed car later, if you really end up wanting one.
David
Old 06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Motor and tranny are out, Motor is completely machined, I have all the stuff to build it, I just got to do it, I have had a busy year or two with stuff, got engaged, fiancees mother died, fiancee got sick, twice, work is really busy, house projects, trips, other cars that fall into your lap. Maybe it just needs to sit on hold untill things settle down.

I put it up for sale over a year ago, got no real offers, trade for a jet ski, $3K dollars aith all the parts
$2k for just the motor and trans, people wanting to break up the car, it has a good soul and deserves better than that, so I pre screen buyers like an adoption agency when I sell meaningful cars.

I love the car, bought it from a customer of mine, was originaly sold at my old dealer, as you see it in the pic with a rod knock, got all the machining done to precision, I have the goal of building the finest 3.2 I can, no expense spared (since I get parts at cost and can do all the work myself)

I need to get down in the garage and yank the oil tank, cooler, T-stat and lines and send them out to get Ultrasonicaly cleaned, thats next on the list, I just need a jump start. I have a giant *** tool box in the garage, air compressor, workshop, engine stand, all the tools, but meh.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

send the car to mo_gearhead. he is looking for a new project right about now...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

I mean it will never be as fast as that damn red GTI or comfortable as my current daily, but thats not the point, they weren't built by hand, don't have a bunch of old ghosts and stories in their sheet metal and wires, don't have the feel or sound (although that blown VR6 came damn close, but tire spin at 65 MPH in a front wheel drive car is scarry) or a legacy of racing behind them. Thats why we own these things.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
Auto-X on the 17th? In! Where do I get the specifics? I live on El Toro and Moulton
Oops! The event is JULY 22nd!

Go to pcaocr.com and you will see the links to autocross information. It can be confusing so PM me if you have questions. The events have been filling up so you need to be a PCA member OR drive a Porsche to compete. Spectators are always welcome.

Good luck on making time to finish that project!

David

Last edited by VNTGSPD; 06-28-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mstupp
Your post reminds me of a Peter Egan column from last year.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3088

SOOOOO True. I literally would work until 12, 1, 2... 5am to finish a customer's service on time. No more. Now, I find myself trying to motivate myself, to find a spark to dive into something like this, reasoning the garage bay's not big enough, I'd have to take time off of work, what if I hit a snag with this new type of suspension I'm not used to working on, etc.

So this week, I've pushed past all the excuses. The stars & planets are aligning. I've pulled the trigger & bought the parts. I have a break in the weather - will be mid-70's if things hold up. I have the time off next week with the midsummer plant shutdown, and the boss isn't making me come in for some special project. My kid can be at daycare all week, or be home with me if he feels like helping dad out & learning a few things together (or calling 911 if the car falls on me ).

I have the time, the parts, the tools, and the motivation. The last one's the hardest to push through as you get older I think, unless it's a pure passion for you. In my case, owning a 2nd p-car with a larger garage would be heaven for me - drive the one daily, and when you're feeling like it, tinker with the other one.

Good luck with the project, hope everything works out for you!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...the time will come,...stop waiting for it......a track run will get you oriented....I wish I was a Master BMW tech!!!!!!!!! Hell,..I'd probably know a bit more,..knowledge motivates me....make use of your expertise.......

Maybe (really) the house task list gets caught up,...the wife's health gets (and stays) much better,..other challenges diminish in quantity,...and WHAM///you're ready.....opportunity then knocks.

Best of luck to you with the project.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, Im gonna check out a few PCA events, and get the membership so I get the mags. I'll snap a few pics of her tonight if I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Loss of interest