Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

msd install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default msd install

I am thinking about installing a msd ignition into my 74S. Is this a tough job? What is the real advantage of the change?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not tough job at all. The MSD box is however LARGE, so you have to pick your spot to locate it.
Wiring instructions very clear and they have a web site.

Put one in mine, runs great ...but I AM having tach. issues. Tach. will not work even with the tach. adapter. Still exchanging emails with them.

But done many times by others with no problems.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I have an MSD unit, and I placed it in the exact place the old ignition box was. Just use one of those plastic cutting boards about 1.5" thick. get a saw blade and then, get a sharpie, trace the whole lined area making grooves with the blade. Then from there drill holes to fit the original bolts, and it hooks right in at a diagonal angle around the bolts.

haven't had a problem, yet.

1975 911s Targa
Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By building a mounting plate with 1/2" spacers I was able to put a large 6AL MSD box in the same place where I removed the Permatune.

The mounting plate was cut from an old licence plate, mounted to the same bolt holes where the Permatune was mounted. Then I pulled it out and drilled holes for the MSD unit, installing longer than original bolts and using 1/2" pieces of fuel line to turn those bolts into "vibration" mounts.

Now my MSD box looks like it belongs as much as the Permatune did. I'm travelling now, but can post pics when I get home if anyone asks me to brag more about how I did this. I was amazed that everything clears so perfectly.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Chris,

Please post picks. I would be very interested in how that all came out. Anyone got experience on the performance change that was realized or not realized by making this change?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Kevin,
Here is how I did mine. Fabricated a "T" bracket from sheet metal that mounts to the original attaching point for the factory box. This put the unit out , just ahead of the shock tower. A short tab at the far right, bottom helps secure it. Mounted the tach adapter behind on the short leg of the "T".

Very close fit, (just clears my K&N air filters) so take measurements to be sure everything clears.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
RoninLB
Pro

IMO

MSD is great for carbs.

MSD will also help support a worn engine.

MSD box should be mounted in airstream as much as possible. They can run hot when ambient temps over 80F.

MSD is of little advantage to a CIS on a good engine.

Bosch is a great reliable ignition.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
jameshtaylor
Intermediate

MSD is a fine product. But don't expect a performance change...I THINK I noticed a slightly smoother motor at low revs when I put it in but it might well have all been in my head. Otherwise, no change at all. Of course if your Permatune is at death's door and acting up, you will notice a positive change.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Credit_Card_Guy
Chris,

Please post picks. I would be very interested in how that all came out. Anyone got experience on the performance change that was realized or not realized by making this change?
Thanks for asking. Here's a pic of my install. Low-end feels smoother and torque is a little stronger. My car often sounds like a crotch rocket motorcycle, but oday I noticed myself letting the revs dip below 4,000 RPMs in the middle of some curves where I used to keep them much higher. This cut the noise quite a bit and let me hear the tires better. I'm still getting used to a set of 40's and don't know how far they tend to slide compared wtih my previous tires.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: msd install