Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally Running! 5 year project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Running! 5 year project

My 1969 T. Purchased as a non-running car in 2002. It was a "rust bucket"! Most would have stripped it and sold the parts ...I wanted a project. (Did just tell the wife to shoot me in the head should I bring home another "project"!) Car had not been licensed since 1995. Two years on a rotisserie, five years and four months in total. I drove it for the first time last week!!

Lots of new sheet metal; inner/outer rockers, floors, door latch panels, battery boxes, front suspension pan, longitudinals, etc. New fuel tank, turbo tie rod upgrade, relocated battery, H4 lights with relay kit, new calipers, rear bearings, new suspension bushings all around, all shifter bushings replaced and a Momo wheel.

Rebuilt the stock 2.0 with Webers and: oil restriction upgrade, cooling tin upgrade, pressure tensioner upgrade, SSI exhaust, MSD ignition, fuel pressure regulator, relocated fuel pump and filter to steering area.

Had it painted, Arctic Silver.
Attached Images   
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Additional photos here:
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/Mo_Gearhead/
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
jester911
Drifting

That is a beauty. Congrats on bringing her back to her former glory.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
killingmoon65
Racer

WOW! What a beauty! Nice work!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, nicely done.
Congratulations!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Wow. Just Wow.

Wanna trade?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done. Congrats. So if you don't mind me asking, what was your budget like? Did you do all the welding yourself? One of these days, I'm going to tackle a project car... might not be a 911, but it'll be something interesting.

Brett
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Brett, As many have said before: "All older P-cars are $20K cars". (meaning, I assume; if you buy one that is already well sorted out ...you pay $20K, or if you sort it out yourself, you will SPEND $20K to do so.) I have not yet totaled all the receipts but this car will be in that category. Off the top of my head, I think I have about $20-23K in it. Purchased for $4K, did ALL the work myself except media blasting ($300) and final body prep./ paint (that was $5,600.00). Balance is in parts.
Oh ...MY five years of labor ($50K..lol).

The good thing about this car (minus the rust issues); it was complete! Carpet, seats, gauges, engine, transaxle, glass, lights ...etc. I did purchase a used front fender and front roll pan which were too rusty to salvage. If you start with a car that is missing many of these pieces, your cost will rise accordingly. And of course if you cannot do the work yourself ...well ...(see labor charge above!)
Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
aircooled_for_life
2nd Gear

Gorgeous car!!

Your attention to detail really shows, you should be proud!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

just imagine the price of the car had you paid out the $100.00 per hour rate most of the good shops charge. you would be looking at a $200,000 car.(or more)
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Yes Douglas, I was only half joking about the labor costs. Although I highly encourage people to try and "save" these old cars rather than strip and dispose of them, if an individual cannot perform most of the work themselves, the labor cost at a shop would make this type car (rusty, much metal work, complete engine rebuild, etc.) prohibitive.

This is my first Porsche, I was more into street machines (55 Chevys, Chevelles, etc.) but I do like the credo: "Restore 'em ...don't crush 'em!". It was a lot of work, but I will enjoy driving it and whoever owns it (after I am long gone) will also.

Hopefully, someone seeing this tread will see that you CAN save even a car that seems hopeless... and be inspired.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Make sure you see the pics of the project along the way, especially from where he started rust-wise, to appreciate the effort.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mo_gearhead
Brett, As many have said before: "All older P-cars are $20K cars". (meaning, I assume; if you buy one that is already well sorted out ...you pay $20K, or if you sort it out yourself, you will SPEND $20K to do so.) I have not yet totaled all the receipts but this car will be in that category. Off the top of my head, I think I have about $20-23K in it. Purchased for $4K, did ALL the work myself except media blasting ($300) and final body prep./ paint (that was $5,600.00). Balance is in parts.
Oh ...MY five years of labor ($50K..lol).

The good thing about this car (minus the rust issues); it was complete! Carpet, seats, gauges, engine, transaxle, glass, lights ...etc. I did purchase a used front fender and front roll pan which were too rusty to salvage. If you start with a car that is missing many of these pieces, your cost will rise accordingly. And of course if you cannot do the work yourself ...well ...(see labor charge above!)
Thanks for the info. I can turn a wrench fine, but body and welding is something I can't do now. I'm thinking about learning to weld so that a bit of rust won't ruin an otherwise good project car for me.

Brett
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Brett, I am a self taught welder, just had lots of practice over the years. I would recommend a Voc- Tec. college if one is near by, take some classes, learn the basics, then practice!

Although I used an Electric Welder to build my body cradle, rotisserie, and english wheel, the restoration of my 69 was ALL done with my Acet./oxygen set! (yes, I'm REALLY old school!) You can
do a lot with a "00" size tip and low gas pressures.

Quick Reply: Finally Running! 5 year project