Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

E.R.P. front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E.R.P. front suspension

Has anybody installed the E.R.P. front suspension on your street cars.

I am looking at installing this on an SC, along with their adjustable rear spring plate. I want to retain the torsion bars.

Will this make any harsh feel through the steering wheel ?

Thanks

Jonny A

87 BMW 635 csi highly modified
Still looking for my 911 project car
Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Is this Elephant Racing Polybronze ?
If so it will definitely be harsher than stock rubber. There have also been some squeeking issues with these. A lot of the guys do love them though.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Jonny A -
I'm going to be doing this on my '84 Cab next week. See "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" thread for the list.

Will be happy to let you know the difference.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Is this Elephant Racing Polybronze ?
If so it will definitely be harsher than stock rubber. There have also been some squeeking issues with these. A lot of the guys do love them though.
Iceman:

JMHO but I think a lot of squeaking issues are due to the quality of the installation. Like anything that involves human factors, there is a lot of room for error and these Poly-Bronze bushings require a modicum of patience to fit them properly.

We've installed a lot of them and no squeaking, to date. Its all about fitment and lubrication.

Ride quality perceptions are of course, totally subjective but I do not think they increase NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) hardly at all as long as they are properly fitted and adjusted for no drag. Without question, they are not idiot-proof but its not brain surgery and anyone with patience can enjoy excellent results. I do think the car rides smoother with them due to the reduction of suspension friction.

Just one man's observations so YMMV,...
Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
95won
7th Gear

+1 for Steve's comments...

I just spent the last 4 weekends replacing the F + R suspension bushings and bearings with all ER stuff. Monoballs on both ends, spring plate bushings, control arm bushings, new sway bar bushings.

It ain't cheap, but without question the ride is smoother and quieter... when I took my wife for a ride that was the first thing she said - "wow, it's a lot smoother." Counterintuitive, I know... but true. The whole thing ride is way more connected. I upgraded to Sander Engineering hollow T-bars in 21/29 at the same time. Bilsteins shocks at all four corners. Totally worth it. But it was a ton of work, and I had to drop the motor on my G50 carerra to get the trailing arms out. Patience and additional budget for "while you're in there" are the keys to success. No sense digging in that deep and not address other things at the same time...

I've already been to the track once with the new suspension, and ho-lee smokes... what a difference.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Thank you 95won:

I replaced the entire suspension on my 87 BMW 635 csi with spherical bearings instead of rubber or poly bushings for all 4 control arms, along with camber plates on all 4 corners. I also replaced the remaining carrier and subframe bushs with poly. I replaced my spring/struts with ride height adjustable coilovers and I absolutely love the way the car rides and feels in the corners. It absolutely transformed the car.

My wife too likes the way the car rides.

I am looking for a 911 for my next and last project. I have decided on an SC and will spend the time and extra work you discussed to do the suspension right.

I like the total adjustability of the E.R.P. suspension parts. The ability to adjust my suspension has allowed the car to be as good as it has become.

Thank you for your imput.

Jonny A.

87 BMW highly modified
Looking for my 911 SC
Old 06-25-2007, 04:00 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I have both front and rear ERP suspensions, but use coil over instead of torsion bars. The springs are much stiffer than the torsion bars I was running (23/33) and in my opinion are responsible for most of the ride harshness at low speeds. This of course goes away on the race track where the car was built to run.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you asking about ERP (Eisenlohr Racing Products) or Elephant Racing? They are two different companies.

The ERP front and rear 935 suspension kits are for coilovers. The Elephant stuff retains the torsion bars.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
911S3.6
Pro

+1 for Elephant Racing Polybronze bushings. They transformed the car and made the suspension very linear and fluid. they are installed with zerks fittings so one can lubricate them-NEVER any squeaking or binding, beautiful kit.

///Nick
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Cory M

I was talking about Eisenlohr Racing Products. E.R.P.

I thought their front A-Arm could be used with torsion bars. I was also talking about their 935 spring plates.

Will these only work with coilover conversion ?

How is the feel as a street car. Since the front A-Arms are totally adjustable, I really like the idea of this along with damper/rebound adjustable shocks.

I realize there is going to be a firm feel or harshness over bumps as there is no rubber in the suspension.

I have a similar setup on my BMW 635 csi and understand what this feels like. It does not bother me, I actually like the feel.

I am just trying to ask for any opinions with people who have this in their cars and their opinion on how it is as a street car.

Thanks for everybodies help.

Jonny A
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey Steve your definitely the expert when it comes to this stuff no doubt. I guess the bushings do require some periodic maintanance over stock with the lubing.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The 935 spring plates are designed to be used with coil springs not torsion bars. I can't think of any reason you can't use the 935 style a arms with torsions, seems like massive overkill on a street car. You can replace the bushings of your stock a-arms, spring plates and bananas to eliminate stiction in the suspension and greatly improve the ability of the suspension to maintain proper alignment under load.
Phil
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The ERP 935 stuff is for coilovers only, I wouldn't recommend it for a streetcar, it's overkill.

You should give Ira at Tarett Engineering a call (www.tarett.com), he makes and sells some great suspension components and can give you some good insight on the best set-up for your needs. He sells the Polybronze bushings and a variety of other bushings, dampers, swaybars, etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
The 935 spring plates are designed to be used with coil springs not torsion bars. I can't think of any reason you can't use the 935 style a arms with torsions, seems like massive overkill on a street car. You can replace the bushings of your stock a-arms, spring plates and bananas to eliminate stiction in the suspension and greatly improve the ability of the suspension to maintain proper alignment under load.
Phil
Hi Phil:

I'm glad this thread progressed to clarify the confusion regarding ERP's (Eisenlohr Racing Products) and the components made by Chuck Moreland @ Elephant Racing whose company initials can be confused with the former,...

ERP's 935 front suspension system and rear spring plates were specifically made to mirror the suspensions found on all the various versions of 935's that Porsche (and others) made. For sure, these suspension components preclude using torsion bars as there is no room, provision, nor intent for those to be used with this system. These use spherical bearings at the pivot points that prohibit the use of torsion bars. These are for coil-overs, only.

Elephant Racing's bushing products retain the OEM front A-arms and rear spring plates (except for Chuck's new ones) that retain torsion bars OR permit converting to coil-overs. Naturally, these need occasional lubrication to minimize wear and reduce friction. Oil change time is a good opportunity to give all the zerk fittings a nice shot of grease.

All of these mentioned components and suspension systems are excellent if properly installed and used in the appropriate application; street or competition.

If anyone has any questions about what to use and various application information, please call or drop me a line.

Sure hope this helps,.................
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey Steve your definitely the expert when it comes to this stuff no doubt. I guess the bushings do require some periodic maintanance over stock with the lubing.
Ice - I give mine a 1/2 pump with my grease gun (I use Mobil (red - 1?) grease) and they perform flawlessly. Never any squeaking and they have perfect freedom/range of motion. They absolutely DO transmit more road feel but I want that.

Quick Reply: E.R.P. front suspension