Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

100 Octaine pump gas!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

john, the car loved it. do you know where upper arlington is? my car spent 18 1/2 years there.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
john, the car loved it. do you know where upper arlington is? my car spent 18 1/2 years there.
Sure, NICE part of Columbus, I went to BGSU, but made it to Ohio State for a couple of road trips
Nice part about most Ohio 911's is they spent a lot of time indoors if you know what I mean, not all but most!
- I guess that's good if your buying one from a good PO, not if you drive one like me
Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

56,000 divided by 18.5 = holly crap what were you thinking! I don't think he ever did anything with it. I put more that that on my van in two years....the carfax said 18,000 the first year so after that is was like he really never drove it...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Ha! It only gets scary when you start doing a cost/use thing, kind of like a boat!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

ya, he was in the $1.00 per mile area. I'm in about $00.20/mile I'd guess
Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
DARISC
Racer

smooth idle, quick run up in RPM's, revs past rev limiter before it can kick in, makes second gear an even bigger thrill ride, zero to 110 on an even shorter onramp, ....who made this stuff legal....of course it could just be that I'm not draggin' my wife around with me!!!!!!! I did 8 gallons of 100 octane on top of about a 1/4 tank of 91. lets call it a modest 95/96 octane blend. and yes John, I'm drinkin' it too.
Do some more research, Doug. Contrary to what seems intuitive, you have to add VERY little race gas to prem. gas to pump up the octane rating, i.e., it's not a linear thing. I'll try to get more specific info from my mech. on Mon. He's been racing since '76 and he 'splained the octane boost thing to me a while back, but I forgot the specifics as to quantity.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

most of my sunday driving is with wife and at least one child in tow so the power to weight ratio is usually high. today it was just me and the 71,91,and the 55. holly horse power it was a smooth ride.

Darisc, I want that gas the week I spend in carlsbad. I'm thinking of going with a full tank of 100 octane down there and filling it up with 91 when it gets to half. that way I can stretch it out. of course I don't really need it, I just want it.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DARISC
Do some more research, Doug. Contrary to what seems intuitive, you have to add VERY little race gas to prem. gas to pump up the octane rating, i.e., it's not a linear thing. I'll try to get more specific info from my mech. on Mon. He's been racing since '76 and he 'splained the octane boost thing to me a while back, but I forgot the specifics as to quantity.
I put a matrix chart on my website to assist in blending 91 pump gas and 100 octane race gas.

Look at http://www.rennsportsystems.com/2a.html about halfway down.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM
DARISC
Racer

Interesting stuff, isn't it?

Bear in mind, however, that simply boosting the octane rating of your fuel only allows you to advance the timing, without detonating your motor, to get MO POWAH!

If you ain't knockin' and a' pingin' on the pump gas you're running, just boosting the octane rating of your gas does nothing at all in terms of performance and therefore is just wasteing money - like running prem. (High Test) grade in an econobox which is tuned to run on regular (Low Test) grade.

"Low Test" & "High Test" are, I guess, archaic terms one doesn't hear much any more, but are descriptive of petroleum industry testing standards relating to "Propensity to Ping" (I just made up that last term - Hmmm..."My P-car is a High PP P car, not a Low PP P car!.... Oh, never mind ).

I'm ready to stand corrected if I'm misunderstanding this whole ball of wax.

I've been mistaken once before, - or more. How the hell did I manage to turn this quote post upside down? Well, there goes maybe three times .

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I put a matrix chart on my website to assist in blending 91 pump gas and 100 octane race gas.

Look at http://www.rennsportsystems.com/2a.html about halfway down.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Darisc, everything steve said I am sure is 100% correct, but way over my head....

I drive my car for a living to the tune of 25,000-30,000 miles a year. I have done this for twelve years. I have been driving since +/- 1983 and have logged over 500,000 in econobox cars and trucks. It has been my experiance that the 10% upcharge for premium gives a 10% increase in performance. It gets the car up to speed much faster. much of my driving has been in my favorate Nissan's. the 4 banger wont get out of its own way on the low grade, but hauls on the premium. in my chevy with the v6 it isn't as noticable but I can tell. even at an 80 mile an hour cruise it doesn't require near the pedal with the good stuff. in my E-350 it creates a monster. for my wife to get groceries, fine, buy the junk, but road trips its 91 only. anyway I'm sure there is a point where more octane is bad, but in small 4 bangers it is almost a safety issue....I have to have the good stuf to do badle with the big rigs out there. mo power is good power.

sorry I was a stoner the day I was suppose to learn spelling.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:18 AM
DARISC
Racer

Steve? Steve Weiner?

Whuddabowt what Doug is saying?

Gotta get this ironed out or Doug just may not give me a ring when he's down Carlsbad way in the near future .
Old 06-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

think fire....add some nitro and you have big fire, add lots of black powder and you have really big fire.

octane is the nitro and the black powder in the gas. the more you have the bigger and sooner the explosion. it's just like adding a turbo, more is better to a point. everything happens sooner and with more force. it requires less gas to go 55 if the octane is 91 than it does if the octane is 85. I don't know the numbers, but my butt says so......and yes I'll call
Old 06-23-2007, 01:48 AM
DARISC
Racer

think fire....add some nitro and you have big fire, add lots of black powder and you have really big fire.

Mmmm.....No, octane is a metric related to detonation.

octane is the nitro and the black powder in the gas. the more you have the bigger and sooner the explosion. it's just like adding a turbo, more is better to a point. everything happens sooner and with more force. it requires less gas to go 55 if the octane is 91 than it does if the octane is 85. I don't know the numbers, but my butt says so......and yes I'll call
High Octane Fuel
How to tame the octane octopus

Mike Bumbeck / autoMedia.com

Every time gas prices creep higher, you might find yourself wondering if you really need to pay the extra change for the upgrade to premium or super duper grade gasoline. The answer to that question is no. Unless you're driving one of the very small percentages of performance vehicles with an engine designed specifically to utilize the properties of higher-octane premium gasoline, there is no performance gain in using premium. It might make you feel better, but your engine won't know the difference.

Hey Bro, I jus' luv a good discussion!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Darisc, everything steve said I am sure is 100% correct, but way over my head....

I drive my car for a living to the tune of 25,000-30,000 miles a year. I have done this for twelve years. I have been driving since +/- 1983 and have logged over 500,000 in econobox cars and trucks. It has been my experiance that the 10% upcharge for premium gives a 10% increase in performance. It gets the car up to speed much faster. much of my driving has been in my favorate Nissan's. the 4 banger wont get out of its own way on the low grade, but hauls on the premium. in my chevy with the v6 it isn't as noticable but I can tell. even at an 80 mile an hour cruise it doesn't require near the pedal with the good stuff. in my E-350 it creates a monster. for my wife to get groceries, fine, buy the junk, but road trips its 91 only. anyway I'm sure there is a point where more octane is bad, but in small 4 bangers it is almost a safety issue....I have to have the good stuf to do badle with the big rigs out there. mo power is good power.
Doug:

Your experience with using premium fuels in various cars mirrors my own and I can both feel the difference as well as document increased fuel economy in the cars that I've driven.

For me, the improvement in throttle response is worth the price difference and I see gains in torque on the dyno.

I will tell someone that if they rely on their ears as defacto "knock-sensors" to detect any pinging/detonation, they might get to spend a LOT of money on engine parts.

Fuel chemistries are not limited to simple changes in octane; most high octane gasolines are blended to improve light-off and throttle response without incurring detonation or pre-ignition. This is a very complex subject that one can avail themselves of such information by contacting the makers of such fuels.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:03 AM
DARISC
Racer

Steve,

This topic interests me greatly. Are there published tests reflecting what you say?

I've heard claims on both side of the arguement over the years and having no direct seat of the pants experience myself, have tended to accept the published tests/arguments that I've read over the years that state that octane relates only to detonation and has nothing to due with the energy that is able to be extracted.

Is there objective scientific proof verifying either argument?

Quick Reply: 100 Octaine pump gas!!!!