Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

looking for a SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pl,

You should post a "wanted" ad on the NNJR PCA site. Also, put the word out with your mechanic, if you have a mechanic you will use yet. Gene at Autohaus or Will at Precision are good places to start...tell them what you are looking for, and they may know a customer selling. That's how I found my SC.

Not easy to drive a Porsche tranny well, but the good news is that once you learn on it, you can drive anything else!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 AM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use this site a lot for older/interesting cars.

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline.com/
Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

I have a 1975 911S with a 930 motor that I'm thinking of selling...contact me if interested.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about it more over the past week... Definitely feel free to learn on an SC. After that, ALL clutches are easy and really light weight! In fact, I rememebr driving my friends VW Golf back in high school the summer I learned on the SC.... I almost pushed the clutch through the floor it was so light! My GT3 clutch is the only clutch since that reminds me of the SC... I really miss that car...

Oh - it took me an afternoon to learn in a school parking lot. The next (and tougher) phase was to sit on a hill at a stop sign with cars behind me and merge onto a busy road. They trick was to use the emergency brake and focus on the cluth/accelerator action... Over time, I finally weened myself off of the e-brake...

Good luck!

-B
Old 06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
DARISC
Racer

I learned to drive in a manual trans car and 99% of my driving since has been stick (I'm not very skilled driving an automatic trans).

Having had a beater V-Dub van back in grad school, the 915 felt pretty much like the van's shift action felt (my mechanic gave me a frown when I casually mentioned that), but it's not at all difficult to learn - just be gentle (they're a lot more bucks to fix than a VW trans!) until your muscle memory takes over and you wont even think about it any longer.

What I really did not like about the SC as compared to the VW was the decel valve that kept revs from dropping as quickly as I like when off throttle. Some owners disable it and are able to shift cleaner, smoother and much more enjoyably (not smog legally, however).
Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

I spend all my time in my SC which has a rather heavy clutch relatively speaking. Once after a weeks vacation I hoped in my Caravan to go back to work. As i aproached the roundabout I instinctively went to dip that heavy clutch. Of course I caught the brake with my left foot and fired my face into the steering wheel as I was leaning forward to look up the street, as my van came to an instant stop. I don't know whch was worse, the throbing face or the embarasment, lucky for me ( and them ) there was no one behind me ... oh the humanity ..

Quick Reply: looking for a SC