Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Leak when stored

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 07:04 PM
Michael Van de Kamp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Leak when stored

I have a 77 Targa that leaks very little oil when driven during the spring, summer, and fall. Last year when in storage it dumped about two quarts of oil out on the floor. I refilled it...to the halfway point on the indicator when warm and only had the usual 2.7 drips for the season. I put it into storage about 6 weeks ago and notice there is already about a quart of oil under the driver's side of the engine. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this storage leaking and what it might be.

Mike Van de Kamp
Old 11-20-2001, 11:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My '86 would dump a nice sized puddle of oil on the floor during storage. Didn't leak a drop during the spring/summer/fall driving season. The oil return tube gaskets would dry out enough during the winter to allow the oil to ooze out on the floor. My brother's '83 SC had the same problem. Relatively simple and inexpensive fix.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:32 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Lightbulb

Michael & Jay,

Here is what I have gathered...

The oil tank (reservoir) holds a lot of oil (as you know). When driving a 911 often, all is well with that set up. However, when parked, the large amount of oil in that tank will try to "level out" with the engine.

Here is what I mean:

If you had two water glasses, and connected both glasses at the base with a straw, then filled one glass up to the top, and the other glass up to 1/2, the glass w/ more water in it will "push" water through the straw at the base into the 1/2 full water glass until both glasses are holding approximately the same amount of liquid.

Get it? Well, the oil tank on our 911's is the "full glass" and the engine is the 1/2 full one.

The oil tank is adding oil to the engine to the point of leaking.

I have tried draining some oil out before storage, and I have found it works. No excessive leaks any longer.

Just remember to top it back off come spring.

Not a wifes tale. Sounds strange, but its true.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak when stored