Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I had an interesting encounter yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had an interesting encounter yesterday....

I was heading to the store to cash in a gift certificate and did some nifty manuever before pulling into a parking space.

As I am getting out, a young man asks if he can ask a question about my car. At first, i thought that he was going to comment about my driving habits.

Well to make a real long story short, he inherited his dad's 1976 911 (same color as mine, but in lesser condition). He wanted to ask a few ownership questions of a fellow 911 owner. I gave him the best advice from things that I have learned here. I gave him the names of my favorite mechanic, A/C repairman, body shop restorer, PCA chapter and my favorite website (this one ) We talked at length about issues and nuances of our cars.

I told him the story that every 911 is a $20K car. But, I also explained that the cars are appreciating. He said that he had some issues with the car and wanted to get them sorted out. He really loved driving the car, even though he could only get it out once a month for a quick freeway drive. One of the issues is a broken suspension part. His dad had the motor rebuilt a few years ago. So that is one potential problem solved already.

All in all, I spent about 45 minutes talking about the virtues of ownership and resources. I would have spent the time watching the boring Spurs/Cavs playoff game. I had a pleasant time sharing my knowledge about our wonderful cars.
Anyone else ever have a similar experience to share?

Tony from Pico Rivera may be checking out our site soon.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story.

We were on a run last summer & I was leading 15 cars. A road on the route was closed for a fair, so I pulled the group over to the side of the road in this very small rural village to figure out a work around.

A 60ish woman came out of the house I parked in front of. She said "Wow, a whole bunch of Porsches". She used to have a 911 in the 70s & remembered it fondly. Her directions got us back on track.

Ian
Old 06-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For some reason related to paint color every woman over 50 want to touch my car. It's creapy. they are not interested in me, just my car. it is totally stock and has 10 foot paint at best, but old woman love it and won't leave it alone. the funny part is that they think it must be from the '60's.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tone40
Anyone else ever have a similar experience to share?
Two weeks ago, I stopped at a Napa Automotive parts store where my brother in law works to drop something off for him (non car related). As I was returning to my '84 3.2, an older gentleman in his 70's approached me and asked me what year my car was.

After about a 30 minute conversation with this complete stranger, I found out he was one of the founders of the local PCA chapter, owned many 356's, was one of the few mechanics in the area that fixed 356's and 911's when they were new, tried to get a Porsche dealership back in the '60's and '70's and after getting sick of dealing with Porsche, sold Datsun's and BMW (he owned the first dealerships for both lines of cars), had the 48th 911 ever built imported to this city (hated it and called it an "ill handling machine" and later sold it), etc. etc.

It was an unbelieveable conversation with a complete stranger that obviously loved Porsche from back in the 356 days and also a very influential man for what cars were imported into Milwaukee back during the '60's and '70's. You'd never know just from looking at him who he was either...

He was a complete gentleman and even didn't mind some very pointed questions from me, a relative newbie in the Porsche world as compared to his experience. His take on what people thought when the 911 came out was very interesting as well. It was not a well liked car by the 356 guys back in '64/'65...

Very cool...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
After about a 30 minute conversation with this complete stranger, I found out he was one of the founders of the local PCA chapter, owned many 356's, was one of the few mechanics in the area that fixed 356's and 911's when they were new, tried to get a Porsche dealership back in the '60's and '70's and after getting sick of dealing with Porsche, sold Datsun's and BMW (he owned the first dealerships for both lines of cars), had the 48th 911 ever built imported to this city (hated it and called it an "ill handling machine" and later sold it), etc. etc.

It was an unbelieveable conversation with a complete stranger that obviously loved Porsche from back in the 356 days and also a very influential man for what cars were imported into Milwaukee back during the '60's and '70's. You'd never know just from looking at him who he was either...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
This guy probably knew my dad. He had an independent repair shop in downtown Milwaukee, and when the Porsche dealership in his area closed up in the '70s, he started working on Porsches (he had 30 years prior experience with air cooled aircraft engines, from WW2 Corsairs to 727s). He stopped working on Porsches after about a year, because he got tired of customers verbally taking out the high cost of parts on him, especially considering he generally did not mark up Porsche parts as they were expensive. All in all he loved the cars but did not care for a minority of owners.

Steve
85 Carrera Targa
64 346C race

Quick Reply: I had an interesting encounter yesterday....