Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! number 2 fuse in Engine Bay amps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 PM
JES1680
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! number 2 fuse in Engine Bay amps?

I've got an 82 Euro SC. The number 2 fuse is blown in the engine compartment. It apparently controls my rear heater blower. It had an 8 amp in there and I replaced it with an 8 amp. Blower worked for a few seconds and blew the fuse. My owners manual is in German and all other forms of docs I've seen point to that fuse as something else.

What amperage fuse should go to control my rear blower?

I dont' want to put a higher value in there if somethings wrong.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
JES1680
Instructor

Ok well. The back of the cover in the engine bay says that # 2 is for the blower and is 25 amp.
Put in a 25 and the blower is working. Messed with the auto heat control and flapper box lever.
SMOKE!
Melted the plastic portion of the fuse, but the metal outside was still in tact?? Could it be the new fuses that are pastic instead of ceramic won't handle that kind of power?

I'm sure there is something wrong with my auto heat control. Gonna go fuseless in that location until I can figure out what's wrong.

I guess it's time to do a search on R&R of the auto heat contoller.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JES, I have an 88 Carrera and just checked my fuse box. I also have the rear wiper, so here goes. The top one on my car is a 25A, the middle is 25A, and the bottom one is 16 A. There is way too much current pull back there for an 8A. Hopefully, someone with an SC will provide the correct info.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Jes:

The Bentley Manual indicates Heater Blower fuse is 25-amp (Page 971-3) I'd try getting an original clay/metal type fuse and try it instead of a plastic fuse.

Also, I'd guess if your heater blower is coming apart from the inside (rumored to happen a lot) or the Heater Blower motor is going south and pulling too much power, your problem may in fact lie in the mtor, not the fuse, IMO.

If you have a volt/amp meter, you might try checking the draw of the blower motor when running. IMHO: Anything close to 25-amps or 12 to 16-volts, and it's too much of an electrical draw... indicating a worn/failed blower motor.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
JES1680
Instructor

BlackPearl,
thanks I'm going to test the motor and see what it's pulling. I'm guessing that it's on its way out.

Quick Reply: Help! number 2 fuse in Engine Bay amps?