Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 10:31 PM
jclark4449
Intermediate

Thanks M491
Old 06-05-2007 | 09:59 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Didn't have time to post this earlier but here's my experience with Schmitt.

I bought my '88 Carrera from Schmitt, didn't have any problems other than I paid too much! I missed getting it from the original owner by about 2 hours, and that cost me $2K but the car was still worth it (one owner, low mileage excellent condition, service records, etc.)., and is now worth about $6K more than I paid for it. He does tend to price things pretty high, but that's always negotiable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, but I would definitely get a thorough PPI, which you should do no matter who you buy from, and I would not engage in their sales tactics, which are typical for dealers like this.

I use Reid Vann for stuff I don't do myself, and I think they're great - they've been around for about 30 years and have a good reputation. Ask for Jon if you call them.

Interesting side note: Dan's dad (Charles) was a Rolls dealer for years, and also bought/sold other exotics. He was caught rolling odometers back and spent a bit of time at the Graybar Hotel.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:47 PM
jclark4449
Intermediate

Dave,

Is Reid Vann in the St. Louis area, and will Schmidt let you take the care for a PPi?

They have some very nice looking cars, I'm just trying to be careful and do a lot of research before buying.

I have a horror of driving my car home and the engine fails and needs a rebuild.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:12 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Originally Posted by jclark4449
Is Reid Vann in the St. Louis area, will Schmidt let you take the care for a PPi?
Yes, they're about 15 minutes apart.
They should. If they refuse, you should walk away.

Originally Posted by jclark4449
They have some very nice looking cars, I'm just trying to be careful and do a lot of research before buying. I have a horror of driving my car home and the engine fails and needs a rebuild.
Right - they generally have some very nice cars, but at this price level you have to do your due dilligence. An independent PPI is a must! Like I said, they're "iffy", but on the other hand I couldn't have been happier with what I found there.

If you have a specific car in mind I could probably get by there to take a quick look for you. They're about 45 minutes from here but I'm in that area a lot. Thrasher is also over there, but I can't make any promises for him

Last edited by Dave Thomas; 06-06-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:52 PM
jclark4449
Intermediate

Thanks a lot Dave.

I travel to St. Louis monthly on business. I usually stay at Westport, so I can take a look myself next time I'm in town.

Thanks again.

John
Old 04-11-2008 | 11:00 PM
rosco28
Instructor

I recently found a car at Daniel Schmitt. Gave a $2000 deposit, signed a letter of intent, and the morning the car was to be picked up to be taken for a PPI, they called me on the phone and told me they sold the car to another buyer!!!
I got my deposit back but something was very fishy. This car looked great!! I had the local PCA chapter pres recommend the a mechanic for the PPI. I spoke with the mechanic and set everything up, PPI, Compression, Leakdown...
Daniel Schmitt fought me the entire way, as if they were doing me a favor selling me a car. They did not like the garage I had arranged, and wanted me to take it to another place. I told them that i am not from St Louis, and i trust the PCA's recomendation, they were unhappy. They refused to bring the car for the PPI, too busy, and refused to have the mechanic pick it up. the mechanic actually offered a loaner car so that whoever brought the car in could return to work for the day!! again they refused. I agreed to pay the $150 for a flatbed, and then the morning the truck was coming to bring her to the test, i got the call that they car sold to another buyer. I had agreed to pay the full asking price, and never haggled, as long as the PPI was to my liking. I had a ticket to St Louis for 2 days later which cost me $100 to cancel.

I am sure that this beautiful car that i wanted would not have passed the tests. I guess i'm lucky in a way, but i realized that Classic Car dealers, are still only sleezy used car salesmen...
Old 04-12-2008 | 12:46 AM
911S3.6
Pro

rosco 28,
sorry to hear it, but this is SOP with dealers/shops in St. Louis, bar none. Smoke and mirrors....
I've been through all the shops in St. louis that claim to repair (older) Porsches, they are all a nightmare.
Through the tutelage of a fellow Rennlister, i learned to work on the car myself, and , when it came time to do major work, shipped it to Rennsport Systems in Portland, OR.
If you want to buy a 911, I would not do business with any dealer/shop in St. Louis.
Old 04-12-2008 | 08:29 PM
fat cab
Pro

well Rosco, i hope you get the $2000.00 back and it wouldnt have passed a PPI anyways.
Old 04-13-2008 | 04:51 PM
rosco28
Instructor

I got the deposit back!! I now realize that it wouldn't have passed the PPI. However, she was a very special car...
Old 04-13-2008 | 09:38 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Did you realyl expect that they'd keep the deposit? I know they have a shifty past but thats crazy. They have had that car nearly a year and they cant sell it so obviously its got issues. They will wait and wait till someone rolls in who has ot have it and wont ask for a PPI.
Old 04-14-2008 | 02:43 AM
rosco28
Instructor

I always expected to get the deposit back, but from peoples accounts here, i see that i was lucky (on both counts)

Quick Reply: DANIEL SCHMIDT, ST. LOUIS