Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Chain Tensioners???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera Chain Tensioners???

My 1983 911SC is one of the last 50 Coupes imported, (July 1983 build date) and has the 3.2 style case (as we discovered earlier, when I couldn't locate the oil drain plug in a taco plate!)...

As such, do I need to "upgrade" to the Carrera Chain Tensioners, or does this engine already have the oil fed chain tensioners? One PCA friend says if it's a 3.2 case, they all came with the oil fed tensioners... another says he doesn't think so...

There are no external oil lines at the rear of my engine, as on the earlier cars that have the Carrera Tensioner Conversion, BUT...not the same case either! The PO had most everythign else done that may have been an issue (i.e.Pop off Valve in Airbox, etc.) so if the car needed to have the tensioners upgraded, I am surprised that they were not done as well...

So what is the verdict? I don't mind having it done, if necessary, but ... how to know for sure? And NO, the chains aren't noisy at all, at least compared to my '75 Silver Anniversary 911S, which rattled at 12K miles!
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Its impossible to say whether you have the Carrera tensioners or not by looking at your picture,...

One needs to see a shot looking down at the engine by the distributor and the surrounding sheet metal.

Aside from needing a new engine sound insulating pad, it looks very nice,.............
Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice you have an extension bracket to bring your coil a little closer to the distributor. On purchasing a set of OEM leads recently I had and have the problem where the earth cables are stretching to reach the coil which is in it's original position.

Perhaps this is the answer? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 81SC also comes with the extension bracket.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the coil extension, stops the AC condenser from interfering with the coil.

And yes, I believe that the pressure fed tensioners are a very worthwhile addition. As soon as I can afford them, I'll be giving my 76 an upgrade.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1986: Having the 3.2 case makes no difference, all SCs were built with internal timing chain tensioners. And, yes, doing the upgrade to Carrera tensioners is definitely the right thing to do.

Frank is correct, the coil bracket drops the coil down far enough to clear the engine lid A/C condenser.

Quick Reply: Carrera Chain Tensioners???