Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The True Difficulty / Time Required to Install Front and Rear Monoballs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM
slapshot1997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The True Difficulty / Time Required to Install Front and Rear Monoballs

Has anyone else out there fitted front and rear monoballs? I have sourced front monoballs from Rennline and rear monoballs from Stomski Racing. I have my 88 Carrera Coupe in for servicing right now and I've been told by the facility that I use to service my car (the facility is a reputable one that has a good reputation amongst Porsche enthusiasts and dealers in my area, I have nothing but good things to say about them based upon the servicing I have received there in the past) that this coupled with re-adjusting the ride height of my suspension and re-aligning the vehicle is about 2 days worth of work! I am a bit stunned by this. I co-manage a Hyundai Dealer Service Department, and I can tell you that hardly anything under the sun requires 2 days worth of labor. Granted, Porsches and Hyundais really aren't in the same stratosphere in almost every regard, and I must admit I haven't done too much research into the labor and procedures required to install the monoballs. I quite honestly think the facility I have the car at is swamped (there's hardly room to park on the lot, always an interesting mix of Porsches and other European Classics) and this is their way of telling me my car won't be ready this weekend (which is fine, I don't mind how much it costs or how long it takes so long as its done properly). I just wondered if anyone can shed some light as to how difficult a process this is and how long it should take. I'm not looking to start a battle, just looking to see what I'm in for here. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you know why many of us do our own work ! I can't comment on "two days", but does this include a "corner balance", as that can be pretty time consuming? Even if you're not doing a CB, having to reindex the (rear) t-bars for the ride height can become very time consuming. I did everything you're talking about (excepting the CB) in my garage...I'm slow, but it's something I enjoyed doing.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Rear monoballs (and I assume you will go polybronze spring plate bushings) require dissasembly/removal of the trailing arms, thats a days hours work for just about anyone. I suppose you could just drop the arm mount and try and pound the bushings/sleeves out while its hanging but I wouldn't try it.. It's a good time to re-vamp/clean your emergency brakes too!
Front (if all you are talking about is the shock towers?) isn't too bad but I wouldn't just do that and leave those crappy rubber bushings in there, and how new are the ball joints, tie rods, boots, etc.?

Ride height/alignment/corner balance is at least a 1/2 day AFAIK..
Old 06-09-2007, 01:20 AM
95won
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 days? It's true.

I just did F + R monoballs, front polybronze bearings and polybronze spring plate bushings in the back. Easily 2 days of work. Plus you have to reset ride height and get an alignment. I'd say it's so much work that if you don't do all of that "while you're in there" you'll be sorry later. As it was, it was a lot of money just for parts. If I would have paid someone to do it I would have more than doubled the cost.

Also, I ended up having to drop the motor to remove the trailing arms because there was just no way to get a good purchase on the 22mm bolt head or nut. Especially on the driver's side as there are several lines right in the way fuel, clutch, e-brake, throttle, etc. I have an 88 with a G50, so not much room near there to begin with. Once the motor was out, it took me less than 15 mins to get both arms out of the car.

That said, it's totally worth it. The car is amazingly well-planted now under really hard cornering and braking.

Quick Reply: The True Difficulty / Time Required to Install Front and Rear Monoballs