Oil Temp. wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp. wiring problem

1969 911T 2.0
( Everyone probably reads both here and Pelican, but I will post this at both).

When I took this car apart for restoration I marked all the wiring.
Five years later, putting it together, I find the OIL TEMP. wire
(black with green) with a tag that says (not attached). Meaning, the one end I know was on the OIL TEMP GAUGE (near the fan)
but the other end was not connected anywhere. For the life of me I cannot find where this wire attaches anywhere in the factory harness??

In my searches of wiring schematics, I find that indeed the black/green wire should remain that "color" all the way to the gauge. And sure enough, in my notes I see I attached a black/green wire at the gauge (dash) end.

Does anyone have an early car that can tell me where to look for the other end of this wire to connect to in the engine compartment? It has a female connector at both ends, the one that slips over the Temp. Sender tip and a female, protected end.

From its length and "shape" it appears it would snake over the right air passage and lay atop the air shroud by the passenger side carb. (thus heading towards the three, round, rubber "connector plugs" at the back of the engine bay ... but I find no corresponding wire to attach to there????
Old 05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Odd that there's a short pigtail. Is it possible that this wire at one time was one lead poking out of the engine harness, was somehow broken, spliced with a terminal and then during repairs the short end was "sucked" into the harness, making it disappear. I know that may seem farfetched but it's odd to have just a short pigtail. Can't really see a purpose of building an OEM harness that way.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you can set up a quick test with a VOA multi meter or even a 9 volt and a test tight. put a charge on the end of the wire you know is the black/green and work your way around the harness looking for the charge. the volt/ohm/amp meter will be $20.00 at pep boys and do 1,000 other tasks as you complete your rebuild. good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but ...all the front wiring is installed. Would be a pain to take out the vent /heat system just to get to the black-green wire at the gauge. Even if I did that, I can find no loose end to check for voltage at the engine compartment? I seem to have everything else wired back (I have run the engine to break it in).

I guess I am trying to find an early car owner that can tell me if the missing green/black wire "should be" back at the round, rubber plug area ...or should it be over on the driver side, near the fuse block wires? But in both areas ...I can find NO loose end nor any gaps in the harness(s) where a wire would have disappeared into?? Baffled!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

show a pic of the wire .. that may help ..
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

mo: Two possibilities. (1) Your green/black wire originates at the 14-pin connector in the engine compartment at the electrical panel. Between the multi-pin connector and your oil temp sending unit on the engine the wire is black. At the instrument it was probably marked not used because it wasn't - some early "T" cars had an economy gauge cluster. If your car has "S" instruments then the wire should connect to the "G" terminal of the temp guage. (2) If your wire color is the opposite, black/green, it should be for your left directional arrow, turn signal, in the tachometer.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Ok...here are some pics. The first is the end that slips over the sender. The second is the end I am trying to find the "mate" to. I have also included a pic. of my gauge. The gauge end is wired and the three lights come on (two round on each side and one large at bottom). As stated before, the wire length and "set" it has taken over the years makes it appear it would go over the right air duct, and lay alongside the pass. side weber, atop the air shroud.

Another question: What does the large "bottom" light in this pictured instrument monitor?
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Peter, I apparently have the instrument end wired ok, all lights, turn signals, tach., etc. all work.
The second picture above (covered female end) is the one I had tagged (not connected) when I took it all apart and is confounding me.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
951kid
Advanced

Wish I could help but my old mans '75 has the temp sensor wire disappear somewhere in the car with no trace, just posting to keep the topic alive and get some more help hopefully
Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

mo: I'm struggling with the bottom light, but I think that it's for the handbrake, and for some reason I think that it should be white. This stuff is much easier with the car in front of me, I probably haven't done a repair on a car with econo-gauges in 20+ years. The metal end on your left picture is correct, but the connector on the other wire looks like its tip is closed with the insulator. If that's the case it might be the wire intended for use with "S" gauges - all the cars got the same harness when they were built.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Pete,

Your memory is correct about the big bottom light in the gauge, it's for the parking brake and it is white. I have hardly ever seen 911s w/ the econo gauges, mostly 912s. Interesting.

---Chris A.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did we try the VOA test? if the wire is at the other end of the haness, you will find it. you can do it with a 9volt, a long wire, and your tounge if you don't want to spring for the meter.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Douglas, I do have a meter and understand your method. I assume I will have to try your remedy next.

I will put voltage on the gauge end and pull each of the three, round rubber "plugs" and try and find the end in the engine bay. However, because MY wire had this particular end, I was assuming it probably did not pass through those and perhaps exited one of the wire "bundles" elsewhere?? That was why I was looking for an owner with a similar car. Plus, the fact that I can find no loose ends (I seem to have every other wire accounted for and hooked up (in the engine bay) ... I doubt I will find voltage on one of those plugs?? But I will keep searching and let eveyone know what I find.

I just put the car back together and do NOT want to chance driving it without all instruments functioning.

Droops, thanks for the note on the brake light. I just re-read the T Manual and found it.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp. wiring problem