Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

European Spec Ride Height Settings for 88 Carrera Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:09 PM
slapshot1997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Spec Ride Height Settings for 88 Carrera Coupe

I'm getting ready to have a major suspension service done on my 88 Carrera Coupe, and I need to know what the European Specifications were for ride height. My car was set up for track use by the previous owner, and although it handles wonderfully, it is below European Specifications and is therefore not terribly practical (I can't even make the incline to the garage at my house, so I've been renting a garage with a more level angle of attack for ingress/egress!). At this service juncture I will also be fitting rear monoballs, front monoballs and replacing the 2 point front strut tower brace with a 3 point strut tower brace (the monoballs and 3 point brace have been sourced from Rennline and Stormski racing). If anyone could forward these specs to me I would greatly appreciate it! I would also like to get some opinions on what the usage of a harness bar does for the ride quality and handling. I got a Brey-Krause harness bar with the car when I purchased it, but I have never used/installed it. I would also like to know if it is a good idea to use Swepco gear oil in the G50 trans (I also plan to replace the shifter bushings, replace the gear oil, change the oil, have the vehicle re-aligned/corner balanced and replace the tow hooks at this service juncture). Suggestions/Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the height setup it sounds like you need to increase the height a little, at least enough to get in the garage. The G50 is designed to use synthetic oil. I use Mobil1 and many other synthetic have been used successfully in the trans. Porsche factory race fill is Mobil One SHC gear lube Here is the link. Mobil 1 SHC
Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

25.5" front, 25.0 - 24.75" rear
Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When checking/using WPOZZZ's numbers have the car on a level floor, and measure from the floor vertically through the center of each wheel to the closest painted surface of each wheel arch.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
25.5" front, 25.0 - 24.75" rear
I'm like at 23" w/Avon slicks.
Cannot remember with street stuff, but maybe abit higher in the back.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Marc: If possible, measure your tire diameter, and compare that to a stock, for the year, tire. The difference will tell you how close the ride height is. The problem with a 23" measurement (with everyday street tires) is that you have almost no usable shock travel available for mid-corner corrections, pavement problems, etc. Of course, with the body panels that you have, you might want to use the suspension height measuring procedure to see where you're at.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure.
I'm running 23.5x11's & 23.5x9.5's with the slicks. They're about 23" tall.
Also, 345-35's and 225-50's for the street, which are about 23" and 24" tall.
Rides fine and no bottoming out or anything.
Handles great, no bump steer, etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 PM
slapshot1997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you all for your input! I will be using the Mobil Delvac fill for the gear box. I will forward these ride height suggestions to my mechanic. In all honesty, I just want to have it set high enough so I won't have to worry about the d/s front tire rubbing when cutting sharp right turns while the tank is full (the front fender lips have been rolled already). I'm going to have them put in the harness bar too. It may inhibit access to the rear seat, but the rear seat is there for insurance purposes only anyways! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: European Spec Ride Height Settings for 88 Carrera Coupe