Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at this 911 SC (Am I making a mistake Round 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 10:51 PM
dnr_pa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at this 911 SC (Am I making a mistake Round 2)

This car is not too far from home.

The mechanic that did the rebuild seems to be reputable.

What is the consensus?

What is this car really worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=593694984
Old 08-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"...Second off the front bumper molding is popping up. This is a common problem in 911's and I have replaced
many of them...."

You know, dnr, some little things just tip you off...to bigger things.

This is a "common problem", and it's usually due to a rust problem! The rust forms under this strip and forces it out of shape like you can clearly see in the picture.

So what else is wrong with this car? Lots.
But I'll just say this:
Do not buy a Porsche on e-bay!
There are plenty of very good to excellent Porsches available through PCA members and other enthusiasts. Why settle for less?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:53 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

I second Dial 911's comments...especially those related to ebay. Just use caution. You need to ask yourself about the things the seller didn't mention...such as was the car repainted. A repainted car is not necessarily a bad thing, especially after 20+ years, however, the reason as to why it was repainted is more important. The fact that the bumper strip is so badly deformed (especially since this is not a real expensive piece to replace), raises some potentially serious questions. He also doesn't mention the clutch. He indicates "some" synchros were replaced during the engine rebuild but doesn't indicate how the car currently shifts. The price is low (at $12,500 when I looked) but the repair of rust can be EXTREMELY expensive. The bottom line is that you just need to investigate things thoroughly...some things turn out to be nothing, while others can be fairly major. If the car isn't that far from you and you are still interested after asking more questions, go check it out. Nothing can replace seeing the car in person. I have yet to see a single vehicle on ebay that I would consider a "good" deal. My experience is that you can definately find an equal, or in most cases, a better car for the same or better price by looking elsewhere. Ebay is great if you're a seller, not to good if you're a buyer...particularly when it comes to cars (this is not to say deals don't exist). As a matter of fact, I am going to list my old Fuchs on ebay here shortly...just because I am greedy and know I can get more for them there!!! (just an fyi, if anyone is really interested, they could e-mail me with a fair price )
Old 08-02-2001, 09:07 AM
dnr_pa
Track Day

Let me add a little clarification.

I as not planning on bidding on this car on Ebay. I have learned not to buy a Porsche without a PPI (thanks Rennlist!).

My guess was that this car would not reach the reserve price. I had called the dealer and his reserve was $12,800. Indeed, when the auction ended last night, the highest bid was $12,500.

So my question is...

Since this car is close enough to put my hands on and get a PPI, given the asking price of $12,800,and given the known information from Ebay, is this car worth the trip, the effort, and the PPI, or is it over-priced and laden with obvious flaws (like the rust, great observation!)?
Old 08-02-2001, 09:36 AM
BK911
Track Day

If it's not too far away, go and look at it and test drive it. The more cars you look at and drive, the more you are going to learn. Don't go for a PPI yet unless you think you may want the car. You can determine a lot more about a car in person than from pictures.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:37 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

dnr_pa:

Sorry man, but I think your emotions have the best of you. Look at that engine - I guarantee you the seller painted the fan shroud with the engine still in the car - you can see all kinds of dust and dirt in the deeper regions of the engine compartment.

Pass on this car! This is the last time I am going to say this - buy from a PCA member or someone who is fanatical about their car. I would never sell my car with a front lip looking like that. Anyone who cares about these cars would have replaced it months ago.

BTW: when my SC lip did that, I did replace it - myself. It's an easy job and does not necessarily mean the rest of the car has rust.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:05 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

DNR-PA, a guy on the Pelican board might be selling his SC. You might want to check it out at: http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate...ML/011682.html
Old 08-02-2001, 04:54 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DNR:
Here is an ad from someone in the Pocono Region of PCA. You can access their website
Here

For Sale: 79 911SC Coupe. Blue/black. 66,000 miles. Color matched 16" Fuchs. H4's,tensioner update, clutch, AC rotary compressor, turbo valve covers, new synchros, bra, and other extras. $15,000. Jim Royer, 732-671-6037 or
NACL1023@aol.com
He has most of the improvements you should look for

Here is what an SC engine should look like (extracted from recent link in a Rennlist classified)
Old 08-02-2001, 05:50 PM
EC83SC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

DNR:

I know the seller who listed this car. He's been selling Porsches since the 1960's. He is a long time PCA member. I bought my car from him. He is reputable. Go check the car out. It's easy to get to from Lititz which is where I think you'll be coming from. This is the first car he's ever listed on Ebay. It is not his regular business. He's just exploring another way to sell vehicles.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:51 PM
dnr_pa
Track Day

Thanks for the help guys! Keep that advice coming!

BTW...big difference in engine comparments.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:21 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dnr_pa

not bad really. go take a look at the car. drive it. no PPI unless you really like it. try to look at some others before deciding . . . not necessarily a car that's for sale, perhaps a friend's car that's been well maintained, as a comparison.

while there may be rust on that bumper, i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any rust there. i'm on my second "smile" ('87 carrera)after 10 years they can get warpie.

and i don't think that engine bay looks bad at all. i kind of like the fan housing. personally, i don't like a turbo tail on a narrow bodied car.

i would not pay more than $11,500 for this car. check it out. yes, there are better cars out there, but they may cost alittle more. in the near future you can expect to have to spend some money (like another $7,500, at least) in upgrades and fixin-up a car of this vintage.

good luck!

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 08-02-2001, 09:23 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

dnr_pa

not bad really. go take a look at the car. drive it. no PPI unless you really like it. try to look at some others before deciding . . . not necessarily a car that's for sale, perhaps a friend's car that's been well maintained, as a comparison.

while there may be rust on that bumper, i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any rust there. i'm on my second "smile" ('87 carrera)after 10 years they can get warpie.

and i don't think that engine bay looks bad at all. i kind of like the fan housing. personally, i don't like a turbo tail on a narrow bodied car.

i would not pay more than $11,500 for this car. check it out. yes, there are better cars out there, but they may cost alittle more. in the near future you can expect to have to spend some money (like another $7,500, at least) in upgrades and fixin-up a car of this vintage.

good luck!

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 08-02-2001, 09:25 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

sorry guys, i didn't mean to repeat myself (i don't know that my comments merit reading them 1X, much less twice).

Richard
Old 08-03-2001, 10:44 AM
Tiger Trash
Track Day

Cool

I have been following your saga on rennlist for the last couple of days.
Thought I would add my two cents.

You have to look at what you are doing long term with the car. If you are just going to keep it for the summer(short term) and then sell it, you will probably lose your a$$ on the car.

If you are looking to keep the car long term, price should be not that much of an importance. Find a car you are mostly satisfied with and sink some money in it to make it the way you want. As an example, I just paid about average to high price for my car and sunk another $2800.00 into it (whew!) I wasn't that concerned as I am planning on keeping the car long term. To make my car perfect I still need to do a partial to full rebuild of the transmission sometime soon also, but I'll wait till it breaks.

The first time you come home from a lousy day at the office, open the garage door fire up the porsche, find a nice winding road, travelling over the speed limit, you lift from the throttle, brake hard, diving into the corner, downshifting to second, hitting the apex just right, slamming the throttle to its full extent, and accelerating out with a smile so big it would take a plastic surgeon a week to remove it. The last thing on your mind is how much you paid, or if you made a mistake. Right then you are the KING OF THE WORLD.

Don't listen to me or anyone else. Find a car that YOU are satisfied with.

Have Fun......
Old 08-03-2001, 11:02 AM
dnr_pa
Track Day

Thx for your input Tiger.

So the news from Gary was bad eh? Head Studs?

Mine will be a weekend driver with long term ownership in mind. Restoration will be gradual, not gonna get obsessed with it (Yeah right). Not sure I am gonna hit the curves too hard. More like a fun putzer.

Want precisely this kind of input from the board so the fun is not taken away by big time headaches.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 911 SC (Am I making a mistake Round 2)