Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at this 911 SC (Am I making a mistake Round 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Tiger Trash
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

$2800.00.... Fixed ALOT of small things like door handle, hood shocks(both ends), repair broken weld in engine compartment, missing interior trim pieces, state inspection, new rotors, pads, valve adjustment, etc. Plus full service all fluids and filters, clutch adjustment, Leakdown, compression test. Also fixed the 2 "Achilles heels" of the car, the dreaded Chain tensioner update and airbox pop-off.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:16 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For too many would-be Porsche owners, the buying process becomes dangerously emotional.
In those buyers, the brain says: NO, but the heart says: YES.

Unless you have a money tree, save your heart for the things it's designed for. Use your brain when buying a Porsche.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:20 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I was thinking about the same car,its about 2-3 hours from me.When I e-mailed and asked the usual questions the dealer was frank at best.He had no documentation or knew what was done when the engine and trans were rebuilt.A "rebuild" can mean alot of things. He has no history on the car and since the vin# is too old to qualify for carfax you have no idea of it's past life.Also you have to remember the dealer is making a living so if he wants 12,800 it probaly is really a 9-10k car.All said if I lived closer I would take a look,but there are alot of cars out there be patient.I lost my mint 75 targa with a 3.0 to a engine fire in December and I'm still looking.I keep telling myself "Patience is a Virtue" when it comes to 911s.Good luck with your search
Old 08-03-2001, 05:33 PM
Tony'z911
Advanced

dnr_pa- That car does look pretty clean, if you are close and could look at it I think it would give you a lot more information for whether you want to have a PPI done on the car, or whether you want to pass it by.

I have recently begun a search for my first Porsche (SC), and I too am having a lot of trouble thinking w/ my brain and not my heart! It's hard to think- there are other cars that are in better shape or are a better deal when your looking at one in front of you that looks nice and is an ok deal.

Tiger Trash- that was an amazing little description that you posted and that too makes me want to just run out and grab the first decent 911 that I see.

It's great to get on the board and read all this great advise and little tidbits about this and that before making a wrong decision in purchasing a car! Thanks goes out to everyone who posts up helping the rest of out! I hope in time, to be able to return the favor and contribute from my experiences and knowledge that I've gained.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:37 PM
dnr_pa
Track Day

This may be off topic, but as I was reading Tiger Trash post I was thinking maybe he should write the letters to Penthouse Forum?

That was some good writing buddy!

Made me want to go out and buy any old Porsche just to feel the thrill!
Old 08-03-2001, 11:21 PM
Ken Pacera
AutoX

dnr_pa you and I are in the same boat <g>. Like you I'm searching for a 911 (preferably a good SC). Hope your search is successful.

Ken

btw, I see your located in PA, I'm in NJ (central just east of Princeton). Maybe we can find someone willing to unload two 1 owner excellent condition 83 SCs and make a deal
Old 08-04-2001, 02:41 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, My first porsche was a 1988 ltd edition targa, with 80k, I bought the car from a volvo dealer in san luis obispo, cal. The dealer is a porsche a phile!,he races them for hobbie.I probably paid too much, but I also saw what he did to the car!, he spent 2k on maintaince, etc..I drove the car for 2 yrs, it broke down once, and the tow bill was more than the repair bill.....I sold the car about a yr ago, for mor than what i paid! and the car had 119k!..the new owner did a ppi, then only thing it need was an ac charge, a pwr mirror motor, I have since gotten a 993 awd c4s.......wow!!!!
Old 08-04-2001, 11:27 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Unhappy

After reading the above post I just want to point out to all of you these small points:

1. The car in question looks nice, engine bay included. As a matter of fact, I think it is underpriced for a clean SC. I read on & see that some of you say it is a bad candidate because of the silly front smile (smiles do rust, and it can have NOTHING to do with how the car is kept, and means NOTHING about rust on the chassis). Then some say its bad because it has a red fan (looks to me like the engine builder took his time & made it look special for his customer. And the "other" engine bay pic that was sent to the thread "Here is what an SC engine should look like" Heck, the factory decals and the fuse area cover on that car were not even present! Could that mean that IT is not a good car because of that? I guess not). Lastly some say that it is a bad 911 because its on eBay (okay, so if I put my concours 911 on eBay it must just be junk? How about the fact that eBay is just another place to post a car for sale, eBay does not make a car junk, I know there is some junk, but there is Junk in Pano too. EBay is just another form of media that A LOT of people use). All humorous stuff though.

2. Also... Just reading most above post's makes me think that most all you guys figure this car to be worth what $10-$11K?? However, YOUR cars must be worth what $15-$20K?? Keep in mind that when you bash a car like this one you bash yours too. If you say your neighbors 911 (that may be just like yours) is worth $9K then yours must be worth $9K as well. Man, some of you were really bashing this car & it is not a junk pile.

3. Lastly, PPI-PPI-PPI. Man do you guys love those. I don't mind a PPI, but I try to do a ton of the car "check over" myself (I am on car #62 and have never had a bad one, or ever used a PPI for that matter). Lucky? I think not. I just get knowledgeable about the machine then use that knowledge towards a purchase. You all seem to think everyone is out to sell you a lemon, and the sky will fall unless you let some shop do a PPI. Man, its not THAT bad out there in the world is it? If it is, I better go lock the doors. I think more than a PPI a buyer should just use their head. I am sure we all have heads, we just all need to use them.

Now please understand that I just wanted you all to see this thread from an outside perspective. I do not want to argue. Some good points were made, but some bad points were shouted as well. Look it all over with a clear view like I did & I am sure some of you may think the same thoughts.

BTW... I sold my SC (w/o a PPI - GOD FORBID!!). It was a very nice car, I got $16,500 out of it (without a PPI??? Holy moly!) and I would have used eBay if I needed it. The car that we all have been talking about above surely is not worth $4+K LESS than my SC. You cant FIND a good SC for under $14K people. There was / is nothing wrong with that SC that should make anyone cry foul.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 911 SC (Am I making a mistake Round 2)