Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tie Rod Removal Tool and Wrench----Anyone Have One?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I went and bought a 2ft piece and 5ft piece of steel tubing today. With an incredibile amount of force I got the pipes apart. Trust me this job would have been impossible without taking that wheel off. As for the tie rods......I am going to get the oil system working and then head over to do a steam cleaning, get some of the gunk off of my car, it's just too much for me to do alone. Once that is done I will probably have to coerce Doug into a day or two where we can do his CV boot and my tie rods together As for the ***** joints, I dont even know if those need replacing so I am probably not going to worry about it until I do the tie rods.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oshin11
....As for the ***** joints, I dont even know if those need replacing so I am probably not going to worry about it until I do the tie rods.
Pardon me, I was having a brain fart ! I was just skimming the thread, and when I typed my response, somehow I equated my visual image of the torn boot w/ ball joint instead of tie rod...sorry 'bout that. Same thing applies w/ regard to opening your braking system for suspension work though...i.e. don't tackle too much at first. Good luck and have fun!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

It was an absolute must to take off the wheels to fit the new pipes in. They look great, and I am just waiting for the hardware (nuts, screwes, straps, and spacers) to complete the installation. I'll post pictures when its complete.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Ok I really feel like a newblet asking this question but I cant get my front tires off . The parking brake is on but the front tires still spin freely. The rear tires lock but the front two don't. If I try to torque the nuts the tire just spins. I tried placing wood to prevent it from spinning but it didn't work because the last person who tightened the nuts thought it would be funny to apply 60000 ft-lbs of torque to them I even tried using a 2.5 foot breaker bar, the tire just kicked the wood out and kept spinning.
Un-torque the bolts while the car is on the ground...if need be stand on the tire iron...or if you have a long enough tire iron, have someone hold the iron on, and drive with it there a tiny bit, should do the job...
Old 05-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Thanks cyn, although this thread is old I got the nuts off a while ago. I will try the tie rods next week as I just finished the oil circulation job (will post pictures on proper thread). I think this thread should be closed....thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Removal Tool and Wrench----Anyone Have One?