Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1984 911 What's a good price

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 PM
DonMo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 84 Targa 3 years ago was $11.5k with under 100k miles, top end rebuild. I say too much.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overpaying is a good thing!!! It just brings up the value of the rest of our cars.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The associated pictures and text in this ad and on their website give us very few details. There isn't enough info to determine if this car is a deal or not. We have zero idea what condition this car is in.

Being a seemingly typical used car dealership that is selling everything from Ford trucks to Mercedes sedans, I wouldn't put too much stock into the description error of the car having "tilt" wheel. They are most likely picking from a list of general automobile options and are not familiar enough with old 911's to list options correctly. And, I bet they don't care either.

Also, being a 'Heinz 57" type dealership, they probably have to make at least $2000 on these cars to stay in business. I bet they offered the previous owner $13,000 for this car and still have some room to negotiate. Lots of these "mixed bag" dealerships get these cars from auto auctions and many can have stories. Typically, 911's don't go to auction if they are well loved and owned by enthusiats. Shop carefully and do your homework.

The hood doesn't have the best shut lines and the driver's side front bumper accordian looks mis aligned... The chrome trim rings on the Euro spec headlights (US spec cars come with old school sealed beam bulbs and different trim rings) are not factory either, so there must be some conversions done on this car.

Is it a deal? Only if the car has a good history and is in relatively good condition. I'm sure you can bargin the price down a bit too. It's priced at a point that if you need to dump a few thousand into it, you wouldn't be too upside down in the car. Nice 915 equipped 3.2 Carrera's can easily get into the $20k range for very nice cars. So, there is some wiggle room on this car's value if it needs a few things. If it's got original paint, no excessive wear/damage to the interior, a good motor and a trans that doesn't need rebuilding, it's probably priced fairly.

I agree that if the car has a valid title from one of the 50 states, it probably won't give the new owner any problems when going to register it. If you need to have the car pass a smog test, then that is a separate issue.

I do agree that typically Euro spec cars don't give many problems anymore since time has really weeded out the poorly imported cars due to ownership changes and local laws being tightened up for emissions, etc. However, my brother bought a 1983 Euro spec 911SC 1.5 years ago. While it ran fine when we test drove it, he spent over $1500 getting the 7th injector system removed from the car (a system done in the '80's to get the car to pass emissions in the US) and for it to run better. With the Carrera and the more modern DME, this probably doesn't come into play on this car. But, my point is there still are some cars floating out there that could be not fully up to snuff.

Here's another pic of the car:

Good luck,

Jay
My 911's
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

I paid 21.7K for my 55K mile '84 Coupe last September. I had it appraised and it comes in at $28K. Of course this is for low miles near perfect car. Chiffon White with Chocolate interior.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIne is for sale
Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

just bought an 84 coupe with rebuilt trans, brakes, tune up, tires. It needs shocks, headliner, and my paint guy is going to freshen it up for $500. I paid 10k for it and drove it 400 miles. seems high to me. I found a car near immaculate shape for 13k but it was a cab and I wanted a coupe. I will see if I can find it.

Quick Reply: 1984 911 What's a good price