Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Permatune Box Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permatune Box Wiring?

When I dis-assembled my car '69T, 2.0 (it was not runing when purchased, so I do not know if wiring was correct) ... I made many notes. Perhaps I was half asleep because here is what I wrote concerning the Permatune Box (3 wire connection): Case Grounded, middle lead to HOT source, one lead to distributor and third lead to NEGATIVE side of the coil. POSITIVE side, GROUNDED!

This (coil ) hookup seems reversed? Shouldn't the negative side be
grounded ...and the Permatune lead go to the positive side?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

BUMP
Is there no one running a PermaTune box that can confirm this for me? I dont want to mis-wire and burn something up when I try to light this new engine off.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:30 AM
2.7RACER
Intermediate

Gearhead,
Check the base of the Permatune. Should be A,B,C terminals. As you have already found the center terminal B is 12 volt power in.
A is the output from the Permatune which connects to the + Positive side of the coil, sometimes marked 15.
C is the input to the Permatune from the points at the distributor. This may be a shielded wire. The shield goes to ground and the inside, center wire connects to C. This is the signal that tells the permatune when to fire.
There will be a second wire at the distributor which goes to the tachometer. I would leave the tach disconnected until I had the motor running.
At the coil you want pin 1, marked - to connect to ground.
Be sure to connect the primary wire from the coil back to the distributor cap. Leaving this disconnected when turning over the engine can short out the coil. The Brazilian coils are famous for this.
So you have B-power in. C-to distributor. A-to the positive side of the coil. Shield to ground.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks 2.7,
That is exactly what I was loooking for!

Quick Reply: Permatune Box Wiring?