Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

POLY GRAPHITE REAR SUSPENSION NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question POLY GRAPHITE REAR SUSPENSION NOISE

Ok...Has anyone had a REAL bad creak/bang noise from poly graphite bushings...I'm working on a friend's 70 "S" that was purchased with "sway-away" rear adjustable arms in the rear and the black poly-graphite bushings in the rear.
I spoke with the shop that installed them and was told to remove the outter bushing and plate...press the bushing out and rotate it 1/4 turn..reinstall and reassemble the vehicle.Having done that...the noise went away for 3 days and reappeared. %&^%**(!!!
ANY suspension gurus out there...HELP!!!!!!
Thanks in advance
Russ
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Russ:

IMHO, those poly-graphite bushings are a curse. You MUST machine them to fit without binding and even then, they will require disassembly and regreasing from time to time.

My best suggestion for your friend would be to install a set of ER's poly-bronze spring plate bushings (there is a specific set for the sway-a-way adjustable spring plates) and never have to deal with this again.

They are FAR smoother (thus ride much better), permit more accurate corner-balancing, and feature zerk fittings to allow one to grease them.

Please feel free to call me for more details if you wish.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Russ L.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve;
Thank-you for talking to me last week...I've relayed the information to the owner of the "s" and he has only one question for you...Does the poly-bronze bushing set equate out to a harsher ride as far as vibrations are concerned? He is looking for a "non ridged" feel as far as I can tell.
I'm not sure what to tell him other than they will be stiffer than the oem rubber...

Thanks for your time again Russ
Old 05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Russ L.
...Does the poly-bronze bushing set equate out to a harsher ride as far as vibrations are concerned? .... I'm not sure what to tell him other than they will be stiffer than the oem rubber...
I know you asked Steve, but I'll go ahead. The poly-bronze bearings do not make the ride stiffer or harsher. The stock rubber bushings (which twist under load) are replaced by the greased free moving bearings. Other than cost , I haven't experienced a down side in the 4 years or so that I've had mine.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: POLY GRAPHITE REAR SUSPENSION NOISE