Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alarm system gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:42 PM
jzoner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alarm system gone crazy

Stopped at a corner yesterday, went to proceed and car stalled out. Attempted to restart and when I turn the key to the start position the alarm goes off, and car just cranks. Tried unplug battery in an attempt to reset and no luck. I no the alarm thinks some one is trying to steal the car and has cut out the fuel pump. Any way to reset or disable the alarm system. It is a Porsche OEM alarm.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:24 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like your car went into anti-hijack mode. Also known as VSR if you have a Viper alarm.

There should be a little push button switch mounted somewhere in the interior of your car. Typically installers mount the switch beneath the dash.

Turn your key to ignition on and hit that button for several seconds. That should reset your alarm and allow you to start it.

If you can't find that switch, you maybe able to reset it by again turning your key to the on position and hitting the disarm button on your key fob.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:04 PM
tiorio
Track Day

What year is the car?

With the OEM alarm I've seen a loose connection cause it to forget that it's disarmed. Then it thinks it's armed even though it shouldn't be.

The fix to get back on the road was to pull the battery cable, reattach, close all doors/hood, lock doors with key (arm system), unlock doors with key (disarm system) and everything was ok (until the next bump rattled the loose connection).

This was on an 88 Carrera so it may or may not be applicable!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:50 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 87turbolook911:
<strong>Also known as VSR if you have a Viper alarm.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Do you know whether there was a specific model of Viper alarm used in the late '80's? Was a special model made for Porsche, or was that the "standard" type of after-market alarm used?

Thanks for any help. I am trying to find out which Viper (assuming it is one based on the name being on my remote) is in my '89 C4, and I haven't had the time to find the alarm brain yet (nor the alarm's push button switch!)

Tom

Quick Reply: Alarm system gone crazy