Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

VIN # stickers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:37 PM
911sickness
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VIN # stickers

I'm considering purchasing an '88 carrera and was wondering about the placement of the VIN # stickers. On this particular car, the front bonnet does not have the option code sticker but has a small VIN # sticker towards the back of the bonnet (i.e. part nearest to the windshield). Is this the original hood? For reference, I checked my '96 993 and didn't see any VIN stickers on any of the body panels and I know that it is totally original.

Anyone have a carfax account? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:02 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '87 has a VIN label on the inside of the hood, at the cowl (rear) end, on the right. It is an anti-theft marker & is placed (by law) on major body panels. It is possible that the option code sticker has fallen off or been removed, with no malicous intent. The important thing is that all the critical VIN labels are where they are supposed to be, are unmolested, match one another & are original to that particular car. The A-pillar plate & driver's door jamb label are the key starting points, then all the body panel anti-theft markers.

If it has tool marks on the hood bracket nuts & bolts, it might suggest a replaced hood. It IS possible that the hood was replaced for innocuous reasons (a rock fell onto the middle of it...), rather than a major accident.

If you remain unsure, arrange for a Porsche Body shop to examine, &/or have a dealer track the history of the suspect VIN. take your time & enjoy the discovery process.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:10 AM
911sickness
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks. so it is the original hood then. wonder why the later 993 does not have these VIN stickers. almost all the cars manufactured today have the stickers on major body panels nowadays from what I have seen.

Quick Reply: VIN # stickers