Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Targa has Landed (w/picture link)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:14 AM
bobbigham
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Targa has Landed (w/picture link)

Well, the deal is done. I drove to Detroit and trailered my new Targa home this weekend.
My wife and I took it out for a drive this evening and the car is awesome. It drives without a rattle, extremely tight, quick, shifts perfectly, handles great, and is absolutely beautiful. 88 Targa, red and black with 45k miles, multiple concours winner, etc......B&B exhaust (great sound and not tooooo loud).

PICTURES.....
I am posting the weblink for pictures that were posted by the PO.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bobtarga911
I hope this works.

NOTE: THE ORIGINAL SEATS ARE PERFECT AND BEING REINSTALLED THIS WEEK. THE CORBEAUS AND RED BELTS HAVE GOT TO GO...too uncomfortablle and I like the original seats much better. he gave me all of the original parts for the car, my truck bed was full of boxes and the extra seats.

The wheels are perfect and I think I'm going to put some 17" wheels on for regular use and keep the polished Fuchs for shows...

But WOW...I love the way this targa drives, even better than the 993.
Much more sports car like!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 AM
m491driver
Advanced

Bob,
Just saw your photos and what a beautiful car. Since its a Euro car it should have a little more HP than the US models. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Welcome to the Targa club.
Jim
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful car. I am glad you are putting the original seats back in. The original sports seats are great, comfortable, seats with good support. And they look good.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
bobbigham
Pro

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to driving it with the original seats, and think it will look much better as well. The Corbeaus are brutal, and don't look right on a car like this, okay for the track, but not on a driver or classic car.

I'll post my own photos in the next week with the original seats in.

The car is not euro, but it was lowered to euro specs. I'm a little concerned about the height as I want to put on a set of 17" wheels and not sure they will fit/ work well at the current height.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
m491driver
Advanced

My mistake. I just saw the ZZZ in the vin# in one of your photos and just made the assumption that ZZZ meant euro. Put the Eurofest in October at the BMW plant on your schedule and you will be in for a real treat.
jim
Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
skeogh
AutoX

What a beautiful car. I have a 88 Targa in triple black which I love but I have to say the red looks amazing...and the condition is remarkable.

Makes be think I need to spend some time detailing mine.

Enjoy the car.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 AM
bobbigham
Pro

Out of all of the Porsches I have owned, this one is very detailed, so clean inside and out, and is probably the nicest guards red one I have seen in a number of Porsche shows/ events in the Peachstate region.
The PO was a real nut for the concours events, 11k miles in 11 years......and kept it spotless. And several years 1st place finishes in the last 4-5 years, however I plan on driving the car, so it may not be spotless any longer...
Jim I appreciate the support...I would not want to beat heads against your wtb targa...so hot!!!! Did you notice the steering wheel, almost the same as yours, just has the crest added.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m491driver
My mistake. I just saw the ZZZ in the vin# in one of your photos and just made the assumption that ZZZ meant euro. Put the Eurofest in October at the BMW plant on your schedule and you will be in for a real treat.
jim
The WPOZZZ does make it a RoW vehicle, unless the VIN was tampered with.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks to be in great shape...congrats
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Eric_P
Advanced

Wow! Beautiful example of a well-cared-for targa.
Couldn't help but notice it looks like it's running a little hot (temp gauge in one of the pics)?
Those floor mats look great.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
bobbigham
Pro

This Rennlist group is tough. Obviously a number of people looked very closely at the photos. The car looks even better in person.

Not sure why the temp gauge looks hot in the photo, the car had just been cleaned and had been sitting for a while when the photographer was taking pictures. I had it out and no issues.

The PO has won several #1 concours with the regional Michigan PCA club. (Even saw it on their website from past years).

The VIN is not shown in the photos, that is a body part or other number thing, not a VIN tag. The picture was showing how clean something was, I had the same question when I saw it, I though it was a close up of the VIN, but it wasn't. I saw that WP0ZZZ reference from the Porsche Red Book too. The regular VIN tags are all correct....inspection, records, Carfax, VIN, long documented history are all correct and clean.

New seats are in now. Much better. I will get some new photos posted by this weekend.

Anyone want to buy a set of nice Corbeau adjustable seats with harnesses and mounting hardware?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

The car appears to be a grey market car from my view (looking at the door side beam installation screws with recessed washers).

Is that what this was?

It's a beauty!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 PM
bobbigham
Pro

No, not a grey market car...where does this come from??? Did I miss something? Or is someone pullling my leg here?

It has an appropriate VIN, records perfect on Carfax, long ownership history and records. It has been lowered, by a Porsche shop, I even have the receipt for the work and the alignment. Car has always been in Detroit, stored in the winters. PO and original were friends...so the ownership and history are documented.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Much nicer than the red '88 Targa that I've recently acquired...but now I have something to aspire to!

I'm VERY interested in the Corbeaus!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Beautiful car! Great find! Now take it out and enjoy!!!!!

Quick Reply: The Targa has Landed (w/picture link)