Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early speedometer question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:16 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early speedometer question.

I guess I need some help from someone with a O.E.M. parts manual regarding the early (mines a 1969) 901 5 speed transmission, concerning the speedometer takeoff.

I've had the car apart and thought I tagged and bagged everything, but I seem to be missing a small piece. First photo is the end of my angled speedometer shaft (from the transmission). Note the "flat/blade" type end.

The second photo is of course the speedometer cable that exits the body. It has just the small, square cable end. What am I missing here? Is there a small, double ended female connector that joins the two? It must be very small as the screw on speedometer cable "cup" is not much deeper than the protruding "flat blade" section?? Does anyone have any ideas ...or a manual that shows this part in an exploded view??
Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second picture seems to show the transmission end of the sheath, but the *speedometer* end of the cable.

What's at the other end of the cable? Is it possible you have the cable backwards?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Now thats an interesting thought.
In putting the cable back in, would the speedometer threads match up? I am certain its screwed into the speedometer housing up front. Are they the same thread?? Is this an easy mistake to make?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Humm....I just re-read your note and my own questions. I am fairly certain the speedometer end has a smaller, threaded connector where it attaches to the housing, so how could one reverse the two? As for the flexible, internal cable itself, as I recall it has the same small, square end on each end???? Still confused.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the outer and the inner cable are different at each end. What it looks like in your pic is you have them mixed up. The small square end is what goes in the speedometer, but that large nut is the trans end.

Here is what your trans end should look like.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Thanks Tod ...now are you saying my speedometer cable is BROKEN and the female end shown in your photo is PERMANENTLY attached to the cable and I need a new one? Or is that a small, double ended piece (as I first suspected) that the cable slips into?? Again, my flexible, internal cable can be slipped out and looks the SAME at both ends.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Ok, I just looked up cable part at Pelican. (should have done that first... duh!). It seems my internal cable is indeed broken and that the female part that slips over the trans end "blade" is AWOL. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Early speedometer question.